The Smile
微笑
I was sure that I was to be killed.
一想到自己明天就没命了,
I became terribly nervous.
我不禁陷入极端的惶恐。
I searched my pockets to see if there were any cigarettes, which had escaped their search.
我翻遍了口袋想看看有没有一支没被他们搜走的香烟,
I found one and because of my shaking hands,
但我的手紧张得不停发抖,
I could barely get it to my lips.
连将烟送进嘴里都成问题。
But I had no matches, they had taken those.
而我的火柴也在搜身时被拿走了。
I looked through the bars at my jailer.
我透过铁栏望着外面的警卫。
He did not make eye contact with me.
他并没有注意到我在看他。
I called out to him, Have you got a light?
我叫了他一声,能跟你借个火吗?
He looked at me, shrugged and came over to light my cigarette.
他转头望着我,耸了耸肩,然后走了过来,
As he came close and lit the match,
就在他走进点燃我的香烟时,
his eyes accidentally locked with mine.
他的眼光无意中与我的相接触。
At that moment, I smiled. I don’t know why I did that.
这时我突然冲着他微笑。我不知道自己为何有这般反应。
Perhaps it was nervousness, perhaps it was because,
也许是过于紧张,或者是因为,
when you get very close, one to another,
当你如此靠近另一个人,
it is very hard not to smile.
你很难不对他微笑。
In any case, I smiled.
不管是处于何种理由,我对他笑了。
In that instant, it was as though a spark jumped across the gap between our two hearts, our two human souls.
就在这一刹那,这抹微笑如同火花般打破了我们心灵间的隔阂。
I knew he didn’t want to,but my smile leaped through the bars and generated a smile on his lips, too.
受到了我的感染,他的嘴角不自觉地也现出了笑容。虽然我知道他原无此意。