■名词从句作动词宾语时,前面的that常被省略,特别是在非正式语体中:
I suggested (that) they should drive along the coast. 我建议他们沿着海岸开车。
I hoped (that) I would / should succeed. 我曾希望我会成功。
I know (that) he will be in time. 我知道他会赶得上的。
I knew (that) he would be in time. 我当时知道他会赶得上的。
He thinks (that) they will give him a visa. 他想他们会给他签证。
He thought (that) they would give him 3 visa. 他本想他们会给他签证。
I expect (that) the plane will he diverted. 我料想飞机会改变航线。
I expected (that) the plane would be diverted. 我本料想飞机会改变航线。
■在某些动词 (如answer, imply) 之后则一般需要用that。如:
He answered that he was from Austria. 他说他是奥地利人。
She answered that she preferred to eat alone. 她回答说她愿意独自吃。
I don’t wish to imply that you are wrong. 我无意暗示你错了。
The newspapers have implied that they are having an affair. 报纸报道暗指他们有染。
■在较长的句子里,特别在“that从句”与动词隔开时,that一般不可省略。如:
The dealer told me how much he was prepared to pay for my car and that f could have the money without delay. 那个商人告诉我他准备出多少钱买我的汽车,并说我会立即收到款。