Spoken American English Volume 5 ;标准美国语 5
Chapter 1 Lack of Money ;第一章 缺钱
I’m short this week. ;我这星期手头很紧。
I’m broke this week. I’m short ten bucks. ;我这星期没钱用。 我还少了十块钱。
I’m all out of money. ;我的钱都用完了。
Many businessmen are strapped for cash. ;许多商人万分火 急需要现款。
Now we are penniless. ;现在我们一文不名了。
I’m flat broke, literally. ;我真的囊空如洗。
I’m all tapped out. ;我能动用到的钱都 已用了,
Lack of money has plagued us all our lives. ;我们一生中都经常为 无钱可用而苦恼。
Indians is a poverty- stricken country. I need money to keep warm. ;印度是个赤贫的国家。 我需要钱好活下去。
This man is living in the sewer. I’m just a pauper. ;这个男人过着惨淡的 日子。我只是个靠领 救济金的贫民。
Chapter Two Paying Bills ;第二章 付账
It isn’t easy raising a family these days. ;这年头养活一个家 庭可真不容易。
The rent has taken a major bite out of my paycheck. ;房租耗掉了我大部 分的收入。
You borrow from Peter to pay Paul. ;你挖肉补疮 (终就不是办法)。
She scraped up just enough money to pay the rent. ;她东拼西凑,勉强付 了房租。
Oh dear,I’m behind in my rent. ;啊,糟了,我逾期没 交房租。
Can you make ends meet? ;你得收支能相抵吗?
Small leaks can sink a ship. ;许多小漏洞也会沉掉 一艘大船。
This is the easiest way to get rid of debt. ;这是避免债台高筑 的最简单遍方法。
I have to break into my nest eggs. ;我必须动用救急基金。
Those car repairs set me back 300 dollars. ;汽车修理,使我的 积蓄少了300元。
It might break the bank if we buy this new car. ;买这部新车,会使我 们的积蓄一扫而空,
We’ve hit bottom. ;我们的口袋见底了。
My wife ran up big bills on my credit card again. ;内人又在我的信用卡 里挂了一大堆帐。
Where is the money to come from? ;钱从哪里来?
If I get laid off, things could get tight in a hurry. ;如果我失业,家计可 能立刻无法维持。
I’m in debt over my head because of her. ;为了她我债台高筑。
I simply can’t afford it. ;我实在买不起。
My wife has no concept of money. ;内人没有理财的概念。
He has to learn to live within his income. ;他必须学会量入 为出地生活。
He’s struggling to stay afloat in a sea of debt. ;他挣扎着不被债务淹没。
I may as well pay it off now. He’s all paid up. ;我干脆现在就付 清这笔帐。 他的帐都付清了。
He paid me down to the last penny. ;他付清了欠我的 每一分钱。
A:I think I still owe you. B:No.We’re even. ;A:我想我还亏欠你。 B:没这回事,我们早 就扯平了。
Just kiss the money good-bye. Reputation doesn’t pay your debts. ;跟你的钱吻别吧。 好名声并不能当饭吃。
Love can’t pay the rent. He’s the breadwinner of the house. ;爱情不能当饭吃。 他是赚钱养活一家的人。
Husbands are supposed to bring home the bacon. ;做丈夫的理应赚钱养家。
Don’t overwork your husband ;不要教你先生过分操劳,
or you will be killing the goose that lays the golden egg. ;否则你是在杀鸡取卵。
Chapter Three Borrowing & Lending ;第三章 借贷
A:Can I borrow one thousand dollars from you? ;A:我可以向你借一千 美元吗?
B:I’d say that’s a long shot. ;B:我看不太可能。
I hate to borrow,but I don’t have any choice. ;我不愿跟你开口借钱, 但别无选择。
I need to borrow 50 bucks.I’ll pay you back on payday. ;我想向你借五十块, 等发饷的日子再还你。
I always pay my debts. ;我总有借有还。
You’re asking for a princely sum. I borrowed on everything. ;你在狮子大开口。 可以典当的东西, 我都已当了。
I took out a second mortgage on the house. ;我把房子拿去当第二 期贷款的抵押品。
Money is out of the question. ;钱的事情免谈。
Money is too tight. I can’t grant you the loan. ;现在银根太紧, 没办法借钱给你。
He’s always pestering me for money. ;他一天到晚缠着我要钱。
Why would I loan any money to a loafer? ;我何必借钱给 一个混混呢?
You’re on your own. ;现在全靠你自己了。
You can’t squeeze blood from a stone. ;你无法从铁公 鸡身上拔毛。
Ask me to cut off my arm before you ask me for loan. ;你要跟我借钱的话, 就先砍了我的手臂吧。
You’re my biggest debtor. It’s time to cash in all your chips. ;你是我最大的债务人。 这时你尝债的日子.
What’s mine is mine. Give it back. These creditors have my back to the wall. ;我的就是我的,你还我。 这些债主已逼得我无路 可走。
You know I’m good for it. ;这一点儿钱, 我不会拆烂泥。
I lend you this money in good faith. ;我信得过你, 才借给你这笔钱。
A:Do you think he’s going to pay back the loan? ;A:你想他会还我的钱吗?
B:It’s a tough call. ;B:这很难说。
He’s always a day late and a dollar short. ;他老是不按时付款, 而且所付的金额短少。
You keep the money. You need it more than I do. ;你把钱留着吧, 你比我更需要它。
Neither a borrower nor a lender be. ;不向人借钱, 也不借钱给别人。
Lend your money and lose your friends. ;把你的钱借给朋友 会失掉你们的友谊。
Lending can turn friends into enemies. ;借钱给人会化友为敌。
Chapter Four Taxes ;第四章 税金
I dread filing income tax returns. ;我讨厌申报所得税表格。
Read my lips.No new taxes. ;你仔细听着, 我决不会课征新税。
At the IRS,our motto is "Never trust anyone." ;在美国财务局里的格 言是:绝对不相信任 何人。
Chapter Five Donations ;第五章 捐款
Got any spare change? ;可以赏点儿零钱给我吗?
Won’t you help?It’s for a good cause. ;这是做善事, 你不想帮忙吗?
He pledged $100 to the orphanage. ;他认捐了一百美元 给孤儿院。
Chapter Six Being Frugal ;第六章 节俭
A penny saved is a penny earned. Skimp and save. ;省一分钱,就是赚 一分钱。 节俭才能存钱。
Take care of every penny and every penny will take care of you. ;你节约每一分钱, 自然不至缺钱用。
She’s stretched our dollars amazingly. ;她不可思议的善用 了我们的钱。
During hard economic times ,you must tighten your belt. ;经济艰困时, 你非勒紧裤带不可。
Stretch your dollars. ;你要一分钱当两分用。
We have a tight budget .Every penny counts. ;我们的预算很紧, 每一分钱都不可乱花。
Have you saved anything for a rainy days? ;你可曾未雨绸缪, 先贮备些钱应急?
She squirrels away any extra money for a rainy day. ;她把任何额外的钱储 存起来,以备不时之需。
He’s penny-wise and pound-foolish。 ;他小处聪明,大处糊涂。
It’s not cost-effective. ;钱没花在刀口上。
Let’s streamline our operation to cut costs. ;我们来精简作业, 以减少花费。
Chapter Seven Being Miserly ;第七章 吝啬
He’s cheap. He’s tight. ;他很吝啬。 他一文钱打二十四个结。
He’s miserly cheap. He’s so stingy. ;他小气到家。 他小气得可以了。
You can’t squeeze blood out of a stone. ;你无法从铁公鸡身 上拔毛。
He’s a hoarder. Scrooge! That cheapskate! ;他是个守财奴。 守财奴! 那个小气鬼!
She’s the quintessential cheapskate. ;她好像是个不折 不扣的小气鬼。
Chapter Eight Unwilling to Pay ;第八章 不愿付钱
This will cost me an arm and a leg. ;这笔开销活像要砍掉 我一手一脚。
I’m a little concerned about who’s picking up the tap. ;我在关心到底谁会付帐。
He had to cough up the dough to send his kids to college. ;他不太情愿花钱给子 女念大学。
Chapter nine Being Selfish ;第九章 自私
Remember,every man for himself. ;切记,每个人 都是自私的。
Everybody is selfish. You’re selfish and egocentric. ;每个人都自私。 你自私,以自我为中心。
Look out for number one. You’re not the center of the world. ;要多替你自己设想。 你不是世界的核心。
What’s in it for me? This is no way to treat others. ;做这件事对我有 什么好处呢? 这不是待人之道。
Chapter Ten Being Greed ;第十章 贪婪
Give him an inch. He’ll take a yard. Your eyes are bigger than your stomach. ;他得寸进尺。 你的心眼比肚子大。
Greed has no limits. People always want more. ;贪婪无止境,人总是 有了还要更多,
Everyone wants a piece of the pie. ;每个人都想分一杯羹。
They just keep coming back for more. ;他们贪求不厌。
You bit off more than you could chew. ;你承担了超过你所 能胜任的工作。