职场社交英语 Lesson 11:你要知道动机何在吗?
SCENE⑤ B 戴夫由上方探头,进吉娜的隔间
【你要知道动机何在吗?】
Zina: Do you want to know what really 1) motivates Vince to be nice to me?
吉娜: 你要知道文斯对我好的动机何在吗?
Dave: OK. What?
戴夫: 好啊。是什么?
Zina: It isn’t 2) gratitude. It’s fear. Vince is afraid I’ll 3) jump to a 4) competitor.
吉娜: 那不是感激。是恐惧。文斯怕我会跳出去帮竞争对手。
Dave: You wouldn’t do that. Would you?
戴夫: 你不会这么做,对吧?
Zina: I might. Vince knows he needs to keep me happy.
吉娜: 我或许会喔。文斯知道他得让我保持快乐。
Dave: What about your 5) accounts?
戴夫: 那你的客户呢?
语言详解
A: Man, that guy was a really good boxer.
天啊,那家伙真是个好拳手。
B: You fought a good fight. But your next competitor will be even tougher.
你打了场好拳。但是你的下个对手将会更强。
【nice to me 对我好】
nice to 后面接“人”时,表示“友善、随和”的意思,例如:
Grandma was nice to me when I visited her.
我去探望祖母时她对我很友善。
We should all be nice to the new-comer.
我们应该对那位新来的人客气些。
【I might. 我可能会】
在英文中谈论"可能"的情态助动词(modals)有好几个,包括might, could, may, must。大致上,might表示的"可能"是最低,而must最高。
Tina might be sick.(少于50%可能)
Tina could be sick.(约50%可能)
Tina may be sick. (约50%可能)
Tina must be sick. (约90%可能)
1) motivate (v.) 给……动机
2) gratitude (n.) 感激
3) jump to... 换(公司),尤指违反合约的情况。
4) competitor (n.)竞争者
5) account (n.) 客户,尤指生意上往来的客户。