看完下面20个句子,你会觉得自己的英语学的不到家,这充分说明了语言是文字和文化的有机结合,也一定程度上解释了,为什么看美剧抓不住人家笑点的原因。
1. Do you have a family?
【正确理解】你有孩子吗?
2. It’s a good father that knows his son.
【正确理解】就算是最好的父亲,也未必了解自己的儿子。
3. I have no opinion of that sort of man.
【正确理解】我对这类人很反感。
4. The picture flattered you.
【正确理解】你比较上照。
5. He is a walking skeleton.
【正确理解】他很瘦。
6. You don’t know what you are talking about.
【正确理解】你在胡说八道。
7. You don’t begin to understand what they mean.
【正确理解】你根本不知道他们在干嘛。(not begin to:毫不)
8. They didn’t praise him slightly.
【正确理解】他们大大地表扬了他。
9. That’s all I want to hear.
【正确理解】我已经听够了。
10. I wish I could bring you to see my point.
【正确理解】你要我怎么说你才能明白呢。
11. You really flatter me.
【正确理解】你让我受宠若惊。
12. He made a great difference.
【正确理解】他很关键。
13. You cannot give him too much money.
【正确理解】你给他再多的钱也不算多。(not…too/over…连用表示“再…也不为过”)
14. The long exhausting trip proved too much.
【正确理解】这次旅行旷日持久,我们都累倒了。
15. She held the little boy by the right hand.
【正确理解】她抓着小男孩的右手。(这里"by"与"with"动作主语完全相反)
16. Are you there?
【正确理解】你还在听吗?(等于Do you follow me?)
17. If you think he is a good man, think again.
【正确理解】如果你认为他是好人,那你就大错特错了。
18. That took his breath away.
【正确理解】他大惊失色。
19. Two is company but three is none.
【正确理解】两人成伴,三人不欢。
20. Students are still arriving.
【正确理解】学生还没有到齐。