大家好,我叫费雯。
I was born to a beautiful,tall mother who never had a problem being thin.
我的母亲美丽高挑,她从来就不存在要瘦身的问题。
I,on the other hand,was fat since the day I was born.
我却相反,自从我出生以来就比较肥胖。
Every reward was edible,every time I was disappointed with my weight I ate more.
第一次奖励都是吃的东西,每一次我对自己的体重不满意的时候我就吃得更多。
I was also despairing as a teen because of my weight.
作为一个青少年我为自己的体重感到绝望。
In junior high I would live off of Acutrim tablets that I’d buy with my snack money after school.
念高中的时候,这宁愿生活中没有艾奎特母片(我常在放学后用吃快餐的钱买那种东西)。
They would give me awful headaches and make me feel lousy.
它们会让我严重头痛,并让我觉得很脏。
So in high school I thought I came up with the perfect solution.
所以,我在高中时代就找到了最好的解决方法,
I invented a new feeding schedule for myself,one meal every other day.
我为自己制订了新的进食计划,规定每隔一天吃一餐。
In two months I went from a voluptuous 164 1bs.to 134 1bs.
在两个月之内,我的体重从164磅减到了134磅。
I noticed that I’d get dizzy whenever I had to tie my shoes,so I glued them laced and considered the problem solved.
我发现自己系鞋带的时候总会头晕,于是我就用胶把它们固定起来。我想,这样就解决问题了。
My pelvis would hurt at night when I slept on my stomach.
我夜里睡觉的时候如果俯卧的话,骨盆就会痛。
Around this time I was approached to enter the Miss Teen California Pageant(suffice it to say,this didn’t help me see the dark side of my new diet pl
那时候,我正要参加州青春小姐庆典(不过这并没有让我看清我的新的节食计划的弊端)。
I actually turned down the pageant because I didn’t want to have to show my stretch marks from having been fat.
实际上,我没有参加这个庆典,因为我不想让人看到我由肥胖变瘦时出现的萎缩纹。
After six months(at 115),I began to notice a change in my hair,and eyes,and teech.
六个月之后(那时我115磅),我发现我的头发,眼睛和牙齿都发生了变化。
I no longer looked bright,and I couldn’t concentrate in school.
我不再显得生气勃勃。我在学校里也无法集中注意力。
My 4.0 went to a 3.5,I was removed as the captain of the volleyball team(I threw up a lot during serves),
视力从4.0降到了3.5。我也不再是排球队的队长了(我在排球队服役期间曾有非常出色的表现)。
and my cycles ceased.
我的整个生活都乱套了。
I knew I had to reclaim my life.
我知道我得开始新的生活,
Even if it meant being a bit chubby.
即使这意味着又要胖起来。
I started to eat once a day for a month and then moved up to twice a day;
我开始每天吃一餐,一个月之后变成一天两餐,
to this day I can’t eat more than twice without getting really sick.
现在,我如果每天用餐超过两次,就会很难受。
I set goals for myself based on muscle tone and inches lost,and I have stopped getting on scales completely.
我为自己制订的目标是既要体魄强壮,又要瘦身。我现在已经不再完全按照计划行事了。
The biggest reason for quitting,in my case,was for the "health"of it.
对我来说,戒烟主要是出于健康方面的原因。
After smoking for more than 30 years it was taking a noticeable toll on my lungs,my endurance,and my quality of life.
吸了三十多年的烟,我的肺,我的耐力,还有的生活质量都受到了严重损坏。
It even affected how I slept at night as I found myself wheezing more and more as time went by.
甚至我的睡眠也受到了严重影响,随着日子一天天地过去,我发现我睡觉时越来越经常地喘气。
I was also made aware of how smoking could harm the loved ones in my life and I could no longer pretend that I wasn’t harming them by continuinke.
我也意识到吸烟会危害我爱的人,我再也不能假装没有危害他们,继续吸烟了。
Unrelenting visions of a friend that I visited in the hospital,
我最近去医院看望一个朋友。
where she was about to go into surgery to try to get rid of the cancer that had already eaten away at her neck,throat and jaw,would haunt even my
当时她正要进手术室,要割掉那个已经吞噬了她的脖子、咽喉和嘴的恶性肿瘤。这一幕经常出现在我的梦中。
She died an agonizing death not long after that visit.
我去看过她之后不久她就死了,死得很痛苦。
That could have been me in that room.
在那个房间里面死去的人也可能是我。
So,I knew I had to try to get away from this killer that was stalking me every time I lit one up.
所以,我知道我只有设法摆脱这个杀手——每次我点燃一支烟,这个杀手就会盯上我。
Alice:This time you’re quitting for good?
这次你是不是永远地戒掉它呀?
Or is it going to be a few weeks of quitting cold turkey and then back to bussiness as usual?
还是三分钟热度,戒几个星期又回到原样?
Bob:Thanks for the vote of confidence,Alice!
谢谢你支持我的信念,爱丽斯!
I really am trying to quit for good.
我真的会永远戒掉它。
Alice:I hope you plan on doing it little by little.
我希望你有计划地慢慢来。
I think a gradual approach is better.
我觉得渐进的方法比较好。
You can’t be in a hurry about these kinds of things.
这种事你急也急不来。
Bob:You are totally right.It’s a multi-faceted process.
你说的很正确。这是个多方面的进程。
I’m trying to psyche myself up for it too...I keep on telling myself over and over.Smoking is horrible.
我也正从心理上去克服它。我一遍又一遍不停地对自己说:吸烟是很糟糕的。
Alice:Well,just let me know if you need any help wit that pep talk.
好,如果你以后任何时候需要人给你打气,尽管告诉我,
I’ll be more than happy to deliver it in the future.Seriously though,best of luck.
我很乐意来鼓励你的。说认真的,祝你好运。