职场社交英语 Lesson 26:她还真像个女超人
SCENE⑤ B 会议结束后
【她还真像个女超人】
Dave: Either we’ll be millionaires, or we won’t... won’t have a dime.
戴夫: 当不成百万富翁,就当……身无分文。
Elvin: And it’s all coming down to the next three weeks.
艾文: 接下来的三个星期就会见真相。
Dave: The only person who seems confident the software will be done on time is Zina.
戴夫: 只有吉娜有信心,软件会准时完成。
Elvin: Yeah, she is some kind of Superwoman, isn’t she?
艾文: 对啊,她还真像个女超人,你说是不是?
Dave: 1) Failure just isn’t an 2) option for her. I’m glad she’s on our team.
戴夫: 失败这两个字不在她的字典里。我很高兴她跟我们是同一伙的。
语言详解
A: Do I have any other options?
我有其他选择吗?
B: You have to pick them up at six A.M.
你得在早上六点的时候来拿。
【It’s all coming down to...成败攸关于……】
come down to是指情况到了最后成败的关头,短期内就要见真相:
A: It’s all coming down to these last two days.
成败就看这最后两天了。
B: We can do it!
我们做得到的!
也可以指彼此的关系每况愈下,到达谷底:
A: I need more money. Give me some.
我还要钱。给我一点。
B: Has our relationship just come down to this-money?
我们的关系已走到了这样,钱钱钱?
你也可以说It came down to the point where...以表示情势的发展已至最后的临界点:
A: It came down to the point where I had to make a decision.
事已至此,我得做出决定。
B: So you decided to quit your job and come here?
所以你决定辞职到这里来?
1) failure (n.) 失败
2) option (n.) 选择