11. Shoot! 说吧!; 有屁快放!
A: I’ve got a question for you.
A: 我想请问你一个问题。
B: Shoot!
B: 说吧!
"Shoot!" 除了当「说吧!」外, 很多女孩子也用它来代替 "Shit!", 因为觉得后者听起来不雅。
12. Give it a shot! 试试看!
A: It would be so cool if I can win this contest. I don’t think I’m good enough, though.
A: 要是我可以赢了这项比赛的话会有多好。但我不认为自己够好。
B: Give it a shot! You’ll never know.
B: 试试看啊! 没试怎么会知道!
13. Got you! (骗、吓……)到你了吧!
A: My sister just now called and said she’s moving in with us.
A: 我姐姐刚刚打电话来, 说她要搬进来跟我们一块儿住。
B: What?
B: 什么!
A: Got you!
A: 上当了吧!
"Get you" 是「(骗、吓、捉弄……)到你了吧!」的意思。
14. no-brainer 不必花脑筋的事物
A: How do you use this program? It looks quite complicated.
A: 你怎么样用这个软件呢? 看起来蛮复杂的。
B: No. Looks can be deceiving. This thing is actually a no-brainer. Let me show you.
B: 不会! 外表有时是会骗人的。这个东西其实很容易(不必花脑筋的)。我玩给你看!
"Looks can be deceiving." 是「外表有时是会骗人的」的意思。也许你的竞争对方把自己抬高, 表现出很厉害的样子,你的朋友就可以说"Looks can be deceiving. He may be just a paper tiger."来安慰你。
15. work one’s butt off 很努力地(做一件事)
A: I can’t believe all my work is gone just like this. I’ve worked my butt off on this all day.
A: 我不敢相信我的心血就这样丢掉了!我今天整天辛辛苦苦都在搞这个!
B: What happened? Computer crashed?
B: 怎么啦? 计算机当了吗?
发现美语里不少口语都跟"butt"(屁屁)有关, 这里的"workone’s butt off" 也是。还有一个"freeze one’s butt off"(冷得把屁屁冻僵)也是喔!
16. push around 驱使(某人)
A. Gary, do you think you can rewrite this paper. I don’t really like the topic.
A: Gary, 你想你是不是可以把这个报告重写一遍。我并不是很喜欢那个主题。
B: Hey, I’m only trying to help you out. You shouldn’t be pushing me around like this.
B: 嘿! 我是在帮你忙耶! 你不应该这样指使我喔!