如今的孩子过生日不仅仅意味着是冰淇淋和蛋糕,
these days it can mean sleepovers at the Ritzy toy store FAO Swartz.
他们甚至可以在豪华玩具店“FAO史华兹”过夜闹翻天。
A: Price tag seventeen thousand dollars.
标价是一万七千元。
And more people than ever before can afford to indulge and pamper their children,and they’re doing it with no apology.
越来越多的人能够支付更多的钱去纵容和宠爱他们的孩子,人们对此似乎也无非议。
But many wealthy parents are worried about how to raise well-adjusted kids when they are surrounded by a affluence.
但是很多富裕的家长正担心怎样才能培养在财富包围中的孩子健康成长。
Scott Cooper is a financial advisor at Marel Linche.
受雇于梅内尔林奇的金融顾问斯科特·古柏,
They saw a need for a new program to help parents, worth one hundred million dollars or more,teach children the responsibility that goes along with being rich.
他们等人发现需要一个新的计划去帮助家长教育生在巨富之家的孩子懂得责任感。但那需要花费一亿或更多的钱。
This Wall Street Joural Commercial makes fun of it...
《华尔街商报》对此开着玩笑。
A: But accouding to Cooper it’s no laughing matter.
但依据古柏所说,这是件严肃的事。
A:It’s no surprise that being filthy rich can breed problems,
因为铜臭滋生各种问题,这并不为奇,
most people would say,"those are the kind of problems I wish I had".
多数人说“我也希望会有这种问题”。
While you won’t find it in any medical books,
然而在医药书籍中你却查不到它,
psychologists have actually come up with a nave for these problems,"affluenza".
心里学家们为这种问题取了一种新的名字“富贵病”。
And while it may sound preposterous they are even treating it like a disease.
可笑的是他们就像对疾病一样对待它,
They say it happens when people’s values become distorted by too much money.
他们说当人们的价值被太多的金钱毁坏的时候,这种疾病就产生了。
Back then Bob could have been "the poster child" for affluenza , he said he had no goals and couldn’t hold a job.
因为富贵病,鲍勃没有去做报童,他说他没有目标,没有工作,
working for a pay check seemed senseless.
为薪水而去工作,感觉没意思。
D:I think I was just given too much privilege ,I was given too much latitude and probably,
我想我得到了太多的特权和自由,
you know ,too much free money.
可能你知道,太多的零用钱。
E:Money creates a great cushion ,you know ,why should I work,
金钱提供了靠山,你知道,我为什么要去工作,
why should I bother going to college?
为什么要烦着去上大学?
I’m going to get this trust fund,so there’s this loss of motivation that’s very crucial.
我打算拿走这笔信托资金,因此,这就是失去了动力,这很重要的。
A: Bob’s case may seem extreme but our booming economy is producing more rich people than ever before.
鲍勃的情况看起来有点极端,但是我们急速发展的经济将产生比过去更多的有钱人家。
Believe it or not, experts say we may even be on the verge of an epidemic of affluenza.
信不信由你,专家说,富贵病甚至将处在流行的边缘。
But wealthy parents with affluenza, like parents of any income group seem far more committed to work than being with family.
然而,有富贵病的家人,就像处于工薪阶层的家长看起来更多投入工作,很少和家人在一起。
The most valuable lesson is wealth isn’t always about money.
最有价值的教训是富裕并不总是和金钱相提并论的。
F: Wealth is about love,it’s about friendship,it’s about our family, it’s about you and me spending an afternoon together outside,
富裕是关于爱,关于友谊,关于我们的家庭,是关于你和我在野外共度一个下午。
that’s what makes us wealthy and we happen to be financially wealthy also.
那才使我们富裕,同样我们在经济上也不会贫乏。
A:A good house rule is to say,"You can spend a third of it,you should save a third of it and maybe give a third away"
一句很好的家法说道,“花掉三分之一,你就节约三分之一,或是存回三分之一。”
and it teaches the value of money, it also teaches the value of charitable contributions.
它告诉人们金钱和慈善的捐助价值,
It’s true,good parenting is always about setting a great example and begin consistent, so when you say no,say no for a good reason.
一个好的养育子女的方法是总是为子女树立一个好榜样,并始终如一,言行一致,拒绝就要有个好的理由。