职场社交英语 Lesson 57:是跟仰慕者碰面的时候了
SCENE③ B 吉娜去找文斯路过自己的隔间
【是跟仰慕者碰面的时候了】
Zina: I think it’s time for me to meet my admirer and make him face the music.
吉娜: 我想该是跟仰慕者碰面的时候了,好让他面对现实。
Dave: You do? How are you going to 1) contact him?
戴夫: 真的?你要怎么联络上他?
Zina: I’m leaving him a message 2) taped to my computer screen.
吉娜: 我要留张纸条给他,贴在我的电脑屏幕上。
Dave: What does it say? Do you think he’ll see it?
戴夫: 上面要写什么?你觉得他会看到吗?
Zina: He’ll see it. It says, " like sweets. / Meet me at 2:30 in the parking lot."
吉娜: 他会看到的。上面写着:“我喜欢甜头。/两点半停车场见。”
Dave: Can I 3) spy on you guys from the window?
戴夫: 我可以从窗户偷看你们会面吗?
Zina: No. But I’ll fill you in later. Right now I have to find Vince.
吉娜: 不可以。不过我之后会把过程跟你说。现在我得要去找文斯。
语言详解:
A: Have you contacted the office today?
你今天有跟公司联络吗?
B: No. I’m taking the day off.
没有。我今天放假。
【face the music 面对现实】
做一件事或做一个决定,不管是好是坏,都要承担起后果,时候到了,都得要 face the music“面对现实”。
A: Murder, dealing drugs...It’s time for you to face the music.
谋杀、贩毒……你面对现实的时候到了。
B: I don’t know what you are talking about, officer. You don’t have any proof.
我不知道你在说什么,警官。你没有任何证据。
【fill someone in 让某人进入状况】
fill 这个词是“填满”的意思,好比“填空”fill in the blanks;fill someone in 在字面上的意思是“将某人填入”,填入的是情况的始末,等于是替对方做“简报”brief,好让他了解整件事情到现在为止的来龙去脉。
A: Is anybody going to fill me in on what happened here?
有人可以告诉我这里发生了什么事吗?
B: Yes, chief. The fire started at two A.M. It was probably *arson and...
是的,局长。凌晨两点发生火灾。多半是纵火还有……
*arson (n.) 纵火
1) contact (v.) 联系,接触
2) tape (v.) 录音,录影
3) spy on... 监视……