round the clock=all day一整天,夜以继日,日以继夜。
Rachel说EMMA:she poops around the clock.她整天都拉.
after hours非营业时间
记得FLASHBACK里,有个Missy,那个他们约定不可以约会的女人,她对ROSS说,她和CHANDLER曾经约会,还在实验室关门的时候去那里“玩”。
We’d go to the science lab after hours!
out of the blue
突然,没有料到(美国人不常用~至少他们六个没用过~)
Emily给ROSS留言:I know this is out of the blue but uh, I’m getting married tomorrow.
我知道这很突然,但是,我明天要结婚了。
show my true colors原形必露,露出本来面目
Phoebe: No! It’s my first birthday with a boyfriend, and he has to work. Ugh, I get mad at him, but I think it’s a little to soon to show my true colors.
我虽然非常生气,但是我认为现在就给他点颜色看看太早了
the world is your oyster,Paint the town red和Kick up the heels都有唱歌,跳舞,喝酒,放纵狂欢的意思。
Ross: No, no, really. You should go. Just go! Go! Go out! Really, the world is your oyster. Kick up the heels. Paint the town red.不,你应该去.去!去吧!真的~快去放纵一下自己吧.
(但是这几个词有点老土,所以,RACHEL说,你应该学些新的俚语了)
Go in one ear and out.....
一耳进,一耳出
Ross: So I told Carl, ’Nobody, no matter how famous their parents are, nobody is allowed to climb on the dinosaur.’ But of course this went in one ear and out.....
所以,我告诉carl,不管他们的父母多有名,谁都不允许爬上恐龙,但这些话当然一耳进一耳出
a slap in the face当面一棍子。当头一棒
Amy: Its such a slap in the face. I’m your sister and you would give your baby to these strangers over me. 真是当头一棒啊。我是你的妹妹,你竟不考虑我就把孩子给这些陌生人。
cold feet变得害怕,胆小
Ross: Situation No. 1: You’re with Monica, the wedding is about to start when Monica gets cold feet. Go!
状况一:你和monica在一起,婚礼快开始了,这时monica害怕了。
hands full非常忙碌
The Interviewer: You must’ve had your hands full.你一定非常忙吧。
Chandler: That I did. That I did.
have a heart
有点良心,好心肠
Ross: Lady, he is people. He has a name, okay? He watches Jeopardy! He he touches himself when nobody’s watching. Please, please have a heart!
Ross为救MARCEL~向护士苦苦请求
Not the end of the world又不是世界末日,没什么大不了的
Monica: I shouldn’t have come down on you so hard about the smoking. So you had a few cigarettes, it’s not the end of the world.
(come down on sb.斥责,惩罚,训斥)
Here we go again又来了.(表不满)
Robert: Oh God! Here we go again. Why does this keep happening to me?
天!又来了。为什么这样的事总发生在我身上呢?!
Sb. Knows better than that. Sb应该明白不该做那样的事。应该懂这个事。
相当与sb should know better.应该知道的
Joey: Well uh, I don’t know about who’s here, but I can tell you for damn sure who’s not here and that’s Rachel!!恩,我不知道谁在这,但我相当肯定谁不在这。是rachel!
Emily: (laughs) Well, I should hope not. Ross knows better than that by now.
呵呵,我希望她不在,他应该明白不该那样做。
Ross: And shame on you! You should know better, Joey needs to work.
真为你丢脸!你应该知道的,joey需要工作!
I hate it when………. ......,我讨厌这样.
RACHEL: Monica’s always saying how nice you are, and god I hate it when she’s right.
MON总和我夸你有多好,我真讨厌她是对的
Ring a bell想起什么事.
Chandler: Joe...Stalin?
Joey: Stalin...do I know that name? It sounds familiar.我知道这个名字吗?听起来很熟悉.
Chandler: Well, it does not ring a bell with me...反正我没想起来这个名字.
Way to go!就是这样!太棒了!
Chandler: All right buddy, way to go!
never say never永远不说决不(因为你不知道将会发生什么)
Monica: Are you honestly telling me that you may never want to get married?
你是老实告诉我我永远都不想结婚吗?
Chandler: Well, never say never but y’know probably uh yeah, never.
恩恩,永远不说决不,但也差不多.