职场社交英语 Lesson 10:万一他就是你那伦巴男孩呢?
SCENE⑤ A 戴夫由上方探头,进吉娜的隔间
【万一他就是你那伦巴男孩呢?】
Dave: Hey, Zina. You shouldn’t act so tough with Vince. 1) What if he’s your rhumba boy?
戴夫: 嘿,吉娜。你不该故意对文斯那么凶巴巴的。万一他就是你那伦巴男孩呢?
Zina: Please. He’s only nice to me because I’m making him a ton of money.
吉娜: 拜托喔。他对我好只是因为我在帮他赚大钱。
Dave: He was definitely happy. You must be making a lot of sales.
戴夫: 他真是高兴得很。你一定做成了很多买卖。
Zina: It isn’t hard. All the 2) online businesses need a way to 3) keep track of the 4) traffic to their 5) sites.
吉娜: 这不难。所有的线上商务都需要设法掌握他们网站的流量。
Dave: That’s InfoKing. Tracks every visitor. Or at least it will, if we can get it to work.
戴夫: 这就是资讯王。掌握每一位访客。或者至少以后会是这样,若我们能让做出来的东西管用。
语言详解
A: I can’t get online.
我连不上线。
B: There must be too many other people using the Internet.
一定是有太多人上网了。
【act tough with... 故作强硬】
tough 这个字,指的是“强悍的”,若要说“对……很强悍、强硬”就是be tough with...,对话中用了act这个字,act tough with听来的感觉倾向于“故意装得很强硬”。
A: I’m so angry. I could hit you in the face.
我好生气。我真想揍你的脸。
B: Don’t you act so tough with me. I know you couldn’t hurt a fly.
你别跟我故作强硬。我知道你连只苍蝇都舍不得杀。
【get it to work 让它运作】
get...to work这个句型,若是用在事物身上,是指“让……能够运作”,可能是指草创的新东西,或是某个窒碍难行的制度,也可以单纯指东西坏了:
A: My car broke down again.
我的车又坏了。
B: I bet I can get it to work. Where is it?
我打赌能让它上路。车子在哪里?
1) what if... 万一,要是……
2) online (a.) 连上电脑网路的,线上的
3) keep track of... 随时掌握……
4) traffic (n.) 此指“网站的流量”
5) site (n.)“网站”,即website