美剧里最常用的俚语,这次先和大家分享10句。看看你认识几个~
1、LET YOUR FREAK FLAG FLY
放飞自我
to let others see your uniqueness
让别人看到你的不同(放飞自我,张扬个性)
例:
My colleagues were surprised at the Christmas party- I let my freak flag fly and showed them a break dance routine.
我的同事都很惊讶我在圣诞舞会上的表现——放飞自我,展示了霹雳舞。
2、GET OUT OF HAND
失控
when you lose control of things, they get out of hand
当你是对事情失去控制了,就叫失控
例:
The party got out of hand and the guests started to throw bottles at each other.
当宾客们开始朝对方互扔瓶子时,这个派队就失去控制了。
3、GET YOUR HEAD AROUND IT
理解,相信
to understand something
知道,了解
例:
I just can’t get my head around the fact that Joe is leaving us.
我只是难以相信Joe已经离开我们这个事实罢了。
4、POUND THE PAVEMENT
徘徊街头找工作
to walk the streets looking for a job
穿梭街头找工作
例:
I’d been pounding the pavement for months before I found a job in a fast food restaurant.
我已经在街头徘徊数月了,终于在一家快餐店找到了一份工作。
5、PULL A RABBIT OUT OF A HAT
出其不意
to do something unexpected that may have seemed impossible
做看起来不可能的并且无法预料到的事情
例:
I thought we were going bankrupt, but my partner pulled a rabbit out of his hat and we landed a major contract.
我本来以为我们要破产了,但是,我的合伙人出乎意料的完成了不可能的是事情,我们签了一个大合同。
6、STEP UP YOUR GAME
迎头赶上
to start performing better
开始表现的更好
例:
If you want to win this competition, you’ll have to step up your game.
如果你想要赢得这场比赛,你得加把劲了。
7、SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT
要么好好干,要么走人
either start performing better or leave
表现好一些,否则离开
例:
This is the last time I’m telling you to arrive on time. Shape up or ship out.
这是我最后一次警告你准时到达。你要么好好干,要么走人!
8、BY THE SKIN OF YOUR TEETH
勉强做成某事
When you do something by the skin of your teeth, you only just succeed/ nearly fail
你刚好一点点成功了/你差一点点就失败了
例:
I hadn’t studied much, but passed the test by the skin of my teeth.
我没有学很多,但是我低分飘过考试。
9、ONCE IN A BLUE MOON
千载难逢
when something rarely ever happens
指某事几乎不发生
例:
We used to see him all the time, but now he just visits us once in a blue moon.
我们过去常常看见他,不过,现在他几乎不来找我们了。
10、PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER
恢复镇静
to calm down and behave normally
平静下来,表现正常
例:
I understand you’ve had a bad day, but pull yourself together and get on with your job, will you?
我知道你今天过得挺糟糕的,但是你得平静下来,继续你得工作,可以吗?