Ⅰ Introduction
It is impolite to begin a meal until everyone is seated. It is also considered impolite to chew food with an open mouth, or to talk while chewing anything。
在他人落座之前就开始就餐是很不礼貌的。张大嘴巴咀嚼食物,或者边咀嚼边说话,也被认为是不礼貌的。
Americans often order the food they like to eat, separately from the group. If a person has had enough or is full,it is considered impolite to insist on that person having more to eat or drink。
美国人聚在一块时,经常是各自点他们喜欢吃的食物。如果有人吃完了或吃饱了,强烈要求她/他再多吃一点或者再多喝一点被认为是没有礼貌的。
Ⅱ Sample Sentences
1. I’d rather not, really, I’m not used to strong drinks。
我还是不了,真的,我不习惯喝烈酒。
2. Shall we have a snack at this coffee shop?
我们可以去咖啡馆吃点小吃吗?
3. We could reserve a window table now。
我们可以现在预定一个靠窗户的桌子。
4. Would you please pass the toothpicks?
你能把牙签递给我吗?
5. Let’s toast the arrival of the new baby。
我们为新生儿干杯吧。
6. Do you prefer your steak rare, medium or well done?
你比较喜欢生的、中等熟度的,还是完全熟的牛排?
7. Don’t worry about the mess; I will clean it up after the party。
不要担心这些脏东西,聚会后我会打扫的。
8. Shall we chat a while over a glass of wine before dinner?
我们晚餐前喝杯酒闲谈一阵,好吗?
9. Would you accept my invitation to a stag party?
你会接受我的邀请来参加男人聚会吗?
10. Can you use chopsticks or would you rather have a knife and fork?
你能用筷子,还是宁愿用刀叉?
Ⅲ Conversations
1. Lisa is a Chinese exchange student who is visiting her friend Tony in Chicago。
(莉莎是个中国的交换生,她去拜访芝加哥的朋友托尼)
Tony: Want to send out for some Chinese?
想送一些中国的?
Lisa: Some what?
一些什么?
Tony: Some Chinese food. I’m hungry, and there’s a take-out restaurant near here. We can have them deliver and then watch the news on TV while we eat。
一些中国餐。我饿了,这附近有一家外卖餐馆。我们可以叫他们送过来,然后我们一边吃一边看电视里的新闻。
Lisa: No, I’d rather go out. The Chinese food here is rather different from what I had at home. Maybe we can try some other food today… What about that all-you-can-eat place we passed the other day, the one over in the shopping center?