晚上好,欢迎观看今晚的节目。
Our guest is the world-known Dr.Charles Adams, who has sparked a great deal of attention over the past several years for his research in the area of language learning.
我们的嘉宾是文明全世的Charles Adams博士,在过去的几年里,由于他在语言学方面的调查与研究得到了大量的闪亮的关注。
His new book Learning a Language over Eggs and Toast, has been on the best seller list for the past six weeks Welcome to our program.
他的最近在鸡蛋和面包上学语言的书,在过去的六个星期里已经成为最畅销书,欢迎观看我们的节目。
Dr.Adams: Ah, it’s a pleasure to be here.
啊,很高兴在这儿见。
Talk show host: Now Dr.Adams Tell us about the title of your book, Learning a Language over Eggs and Toast.
现在Adams博士将告诉我们有关他的那本书的主题,在鸡蛋和面包上学语言。
Dr.Adams: Well , one of most important keys to learning another language is to establish a regular study program,
好,学另一种语言最重要是建立一种有规律的学习程序。
like planning a few minutes every morning around breakfast time .
每天吃早餐的时候计划几分钟。
Talk show host : Now ,sorry for saying this but your ideas may sound a little simplistic to our audience.
哦,对不起,但是你的意见对我们观众来说太简单了。
I mean I took Spanish in high school for four years and I didn’t become a proficient speaker of the language.
我意思是我在高年级学了四年的西班牙语,但是我并没有成为一个语言专家。
Dr.Adams: Well , I think there are many people that feel that way ,and that’s just it,
好,很多人都有同感,我要说的就是关于这个的,
I’m not implying that we can become people fluent speakers in a matter of a few minutes here and there.
我的意思不是说我们能成为时不时流利地说几分钟话的人,
but rather a regular ,consistent ,and focused course of study can help us on the way to the promised language of language mastery.
而是我们能成为一个始终能流利说话的人,专注于一门语言的学习可以帮助我们掌握我们期望学习的语言。
and remember there is a difference between native fluency and proficiency in a language, and I am proposing the latter.
记住,母语的流利和对一门语言的精通是有区别的,等会儿我会提出我的观点。
Talk show host: So what are some of the basic keys you are suggesting ?
那么你提议的基本关键是什么?
Dr.Adams: Well, as I just mentioned ,people need to plan out their study by setting realistic and attainable goals from the beginning.
如我刚才所说,我们需要在一起开始学习语言就得准备一个切实可行的目标。
I mean ,some people get caught up the craze of learning the language in 30 days,
我的意思是说,在30天内有些人就可以抓住学习语言的狂热。
only to become disenchanted when they don’t perform up their expectations.
当他们不能完成他们的期望,他们就变得不抱幻想。
And small steps ,little by little ,are the key.
一步一步,一点一点的是关键。
For example ,planning to learn five new vocabulary words a day and to learn to use them actively is far better than learning 30 and forgetting them the next day.
例如,一天计划去学五个新单词,再积极地去用它,而不是一天学30个,第二天又忘了。
Talk show host: Um-hum. Now you mentioned something about maximizing your learning potential by learning about your own individal learning styles.
现在就让讲讲从你个人的学习风格可以学到的一个人最大的学习潜力。
Could you elaborate on that?
你能详细说明那个吗?
Dr.Adams;Sure .People often have different ways of learning and approach learning tasks differently.
可以,就学习任务的不同,人们都有不同的学习方法和途径
Some people are visual learners who prefer to see models of the patterns they are expected to learn;
一些人是形象学者,他们宁可看到他们期望学的东西的模型和样品。
other are auditory learners who favor hearing instructions,for example over reading them.
其他的人是听觉上的学者,他情愿根据听的指示,例如,经常读他们。
Now ,our preferences are determined by many factors for example,personality ,culture,and past exerience.
还有我的提议是由很多的因素决定的,例如个性,文化或过去的经验。
Talk Show Host:Well ,Dr.Adams. What is your learning style?
好,Adams,你的学习风格是什么?
Dr.Adams: Well ,I’m a very tactile learner.
哦,我是一个触觉上的学者。
Talk show host: You mean one who learns through hands-on experience?
你的意思是一个人可以通过手摸经验学习?
Dr.Adams:Exactly.
是的。
Tald show host: So how does knowing your learning style benefit you?
那么你怎么知道你的学习风格对你有益?
Dr.Adams:Well ,this might seem a little unusual,but moving around while trying to learn and memorize material helps me a great deal.
这看起来有点不同,但是当你试着去学什么并想记住他们,不停地移动将会给你很大的帮助。
While I cut up tomatoes and onions for my omelet in the morning ,
在早上,当我在为我的煎蛋卷切土豆和洋葱。
I might recite aloud vocabulary to the rhythm of the knife .
我将随着刀子的节奏大声地背诵单词。
But it is important to remember that often our learning styles are not singular in nature,
但是一定要记住我们的学习风格实际上并不是单一的。
but are often very multidimensional ,and we tend to learn differently in different stiuations.
它经常是多样化的,在不同的情景下,我们将用不同的方法去学。
Talk show host ;So what is my learning style?
那么我的学习风格是什么?
Dr.Adams ;Well,you’re going to have to read my book to find out.
那么你将要去读我的书找出来。
Talk show host:Okay ,We have just found out from Dr.Charles Adams,author of the book,Learning Languages over Eggs and Toast.Thank for joining us.
行,我们从Charles Adams博士,在鸡蛋和面包上学习语言的作者身上找出来。谢谢你们的加入。
Dr.Adams: My pleasure.
那是我的荣幸。
spark: to start or begin suddenly
闪光: 突然开始的发光。
His comments sparked a lot of controversy.
他的注解发出大量的论争。
imply ; suggesting or learning someone to believe
提示,提议或学习让某人相信。
I’m not implying that you shouldn’t take the job ,Just think about it a little more before accepting the position.
我并不是暗示不是你不应该管那份工作,在 接受之前你应该稍微想一下。
disenchant: disappointed or disillusioned with a feeling of not having been told the truth.
使清醒: 在没有告诉真理的情况下有一种失望或醒悟的感觉。
He became disenchanted with life overseas and soon returned to his country.
他不再着迷海外生活,不久又返回他自己的国家。
elaborate : explain in more detail .
详细描述: 更详细地解释。
Could you elaborate on your ideas on starting your company?
你能更详细地解释你创业公司的意念?
tactile :the idea of touching
触觉的: 摸的感觉
He is a very tactile learner and always benefits from hands-on activities like building things.
他是一个触觉类型的人,他靠手摸一些建筑物之类的东西学到很多东西。