教育部做了些什么工作来扶持你们?
A great deal.Really a great deal.
做了很多工作,真的。
Over the years,the ministry has given us support in order to grow.
这些年来,教育部一直在支持我们的发展。
Our school grew in the early days by up to 30 or 40 percent a year.
办学初期,我们的学校以每年百分之三十到四十的规模增长。
I recall reading the history when we had two hundred children,we were still located at the embassy area.
记得我们还是在使馆区刚办学的时候,那时我们有两百个孩子。
And at the very next year we grew by forty percent.
就在第二年,我们的学生就增加了百分之四十。
So the ministry was always there to help us;we secured diplomatic service bureau land,
教育部一直支持我们。我们在外事局的土地上办学感到很有安全感,
that was adjacent to the Lido property and we built our other school campus there with the assistance of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
在靠近丽都物业的外事局外事部门的帮助下我们把校区建在了那里。
And ever since the beginning,they have been very very supportive and helpful to us in our growth.
从一开始他们就对我们的发展给予了很大的支持和帮助。
Was the school very popular when it was first set up?
学校一成立就很受欢迎吗?
I think it was popular certainly with one family,because the one family had six children,that’s where the school started at the first six.
我想它当时至少受到一个家庭的欢迎,因为那个家庭有六个孩子。他们就是这个学校最早的学生。
It was very popular in the beginning with embassy employess,because they now had an opportunity to go to an English_speaking school for the first time.
一开始的时候,学校很受使馆工作人员的欢迎,因为他们终于有机会把孩子送到英文学校了。
And I think over the years,our school has been very popular with people for different reasons.
这么多年来,人们因为各种不同的原因喜爱我们的学校。
That’s one of the reasons_teaching in English.
原因之一是我们用英语教学。
The other is the ability of our school to answer the needs of these children.
原因之二是学校有能力满足孩子们的各种要求。
They come from all over the world.
他们来自世界各地。
We developed the International Baccalaureate Program in the high school for reasons that still...that are obviously good.
出于一些显然是不错的理由,我们在高中部实施了“国际学士学位课”。
Our students coming from Australia,New Zealand and the countries down under,
给来自澳大利亚、新西兰、澳大利亚和新西兰地区的其他国家,
also our students from Europe and the eastern part of the United States and Canada,
以及欧洲、美国东部、加拿大的学生,都带来了好处。
could all benefit from that program since we...the inception of the International Baccalaureate Program,
我们高中部实施了“国际学士学位课程”。
which is in our high school,grades eleven to twelve.
这一课程在高中十一年级和十二年级实施。
All of the students seem to take advantage of it.
看起来,我们所有的学生都从中受益了。
Can all of your students be very good at Chinese by the time they graduate from the primary school?
你们的学生到了小学毕业的时候能擅长中文吗?
I think this lady here,Theresa Chao is the head of our Chinese Language Program and I would say,
我想,坐在这儿的赵小姐会给你答案,她是我们汉语课程的负责人,我要说,
if they choose to ,if that’s they want to do,they can,because our Chinese program is separated into three tracks.
如果孩子们选择,他们愿意学的话,她们就可以学会,因为我们的汉语课程分为三个类别。
One of those tracks is the neo-native track,which is ,which I think is demanding on children in the area of literature,writing,and speaking the Chinese language.
第一类是近本族语类,我想来这一类课程对孩子们是文学、汉语写作和口语这几方面的要求是比较高的。
The academic track,a little less demanding,but still a wonderful track for students who command only beginning to speak Chinese,they can progress very quickly.
人文类课程的要求就要低一点了,但对于那些只刚开始讲汉语的学生来说仍然是相当不错的。通过这类课程的学习,他们可以进步得很快。
And the third track is one,well,people just to learn to speak the Chinese language to get,to a,to accommodate their needs in Beijing.
第三类课程是针对那些为了适应他们在北京的生活需要而学汉语的学生。
So yes,I think the students,if they choose to,and they apply themselves,and many of them do,will speak Chinese very well.
所以我认为如果学生选择学习汉语,他们专心学习的话,其中大部分人就一定可以讲一口很不错的汉语。
I think that probably 50 percent of our students speak Chinese very well already.
我想,我们已经有一半的学生可以很好的地讲汉语了。
We have a large Asian population where people who have had ties with China.
我们有很多学生来自亚洲,他们和中国都有某种关联。
The reason they come to our school,and the reason they come here to Beijing and China is because of their fascination in their,in that invisible draw that we all feel having come to China.
他们来到我们的学校学习的原因,他们来到北京,来到中国的原因是因为他们像所有到中国来的人一样迷恋于一种无形的吸引力。
China is a very special place.
中国是一个很特别的地方。
In my own case,my wife had relatives that were in China a hundred years ago.
就我个人的例子来说,几百年前我的妻子在中国有很多亲戚,
They were missionaries,but they were here.
他们是传教士,但他们曾经来过这里。
And we have always had a very close affection with China.
我们一直跟中国有一种很亲近的感情。
So I’d like to think that happens with many of our students,but it’s not only Chinese.
我认为这种情形在我们很多学生身上也有,而不只是发生在中国学生身上。
As a Chinese,I feel highly flattered when you talk about the invisible draw.
听你说到这种无形的吸引力,我作为一个中国人感到非常荣幸。
Do you believe that most of the parents of the students share your fascination about this country?
你是否认为大部分学生的家长都像你一样迷恋这个国家呢?
I think so.I really think they do.
我想是的,我想他们确实如此。
We have a Chinese Studies Program,the Chinese Studies Program...
我们有一人汉语学习课程,这个汉语学习课程……
By the way,what have you done to let the students mix with the local Chinese?
那么,你们是通过什么方法让学生融入当地的中国人的?
Oh,all kinds of things.Everything from...Chinese that wish to speak English.
噢,各种各样的方法,从……比如希望讲英语的中国人。
We have a ,we call it a CAS Program.
我们有一个叫做CAS的课程。
It’s part of our International Baccalaureate Program,and it’s community service.
它是“国际学士学位课程”的一部分。属于社区服务。
And part of that community services’ focus is to get out into the community.
社区服务的重点之一是走进社区去。
So we have several programs right now that are going on involving almost all of our students.
我们有很多正在实施的计划是几乎所有的学生都参与的。
One is helping people learning,learn to speak English.
其中之一就是帮助人们学讲英语。
So we have Chinese(sister school?)lessons.
所以我们有汉语课。(姐妹学校?)
No,no,these are adults,adults,college students.
不,不,他们是成年人。成年人,大学生。
Our sister schools,we have sister schools relationships,too.
我们也有姐妹学校,我们有很多计划有关。
We do that,we also have relationships with different programs that are helping and assisting Chinese people who are ill.
我们也和很多计划有关,帮助和支持生病的中国人。
That’s part of our program too;it’s an assistance thing.
也是我们计划的一部分,这是有关资助的事。
But the Chinese language part,it’s very interesting cause we have a lot of elderly people that want to learn to speak English and they work with our students,
但汉语这部分,很有意思,因为有很多老年人,他们想讲英语,他们和我们的学生,和我们那些正在学讲英语的高中生一起干活。
our high school students learning how to speak English.
和我们的高中生一起学讲英语。
Beyond that,there are so many,we have a senior project where all of our seniors go into the Chinese community and work for a week with Chinese companies,joint ventures,atc..that we started three years ago.
除此之外还有很多,我们在三年前就开始了一个高年级学生计划,就是让我们所有的高年级学生进入中国社区为中国公司、合资企业等工作一周。
There’s a great deal of intermixing that goes on,but not as much as I would like to see at this point..
这让学生在很大程度上融入了中国社会,但和我希望从这一点上看到相比还不够……
Is it reflected in your curriculum?
这反映在你们的全部课程里面吗?
Very much so.Our curriculum.Chinese study is part of our curriculum,and I was about to tell you that we have selected Chinese Studies Programs carefully.
正是这样。汉语学习是我们全部课程的一部分。而且我要告诉你,汉语学习课程是我们精心安排的。
Our students are on trains and planes and buses and they are going out by groups of one hundred and more,
我们的学生乘火车、乘飞机、乘公共汽车外出,并且都是上百个人结伴而行。
to villages like...areas like Qingdao and (Excuse me,who sponsored these trips?)
你青岛那里的村庄……(对不起,打断一下,出行的费用谁来付呢?)
The parents help pay for the trips.
家长们帮忙付钱。
It’s part of our curriculum,so part of our tuition pays for these trips,and what we want to do is to expose our children all of different ages,all the way through,to these places.
这是课程的一部分,因此产生的费用也算作学费的一部分。我们想做的就是:让他们的孩子,让这些不同年龄段的孩子都能直接接触到这些地区。
Do these trips take place almost all in holidays?
这些外出计划几乎全安排在假期吗?
No,not holidays.These are part of our curriculum.
不,不是假期。这是我们课程的一部分。
They occur in the spring and the fall,and they take a week or up to ten days.
主要安排在春季和秋季,一般需要一个星期到十天左右的时间。
Our kids will go to Qingdao and visit the Summer Palace,and learn the history of the Qing Dynasty,
孩子们去青岛,去参观颐和园,去学习清朝的历史。
and at the end,and where they went during the summer,and they travel that whole area.
最后,他们整个夏季都在某一个地区四处游览。
That’s one of our Chinese studies trips.
这是我们“中国研究之旅”的其中一项。
So it’s an ability for us to introduce our students to China,the real China,and they live,and eat,and work with the Chinese people.
要把中国,要把真实的中国介绍给孩子们,让他们和中国人一起吃住,一起干活,这一切需要我们具备相当的能力。
Some villages,some fishing villages,and these are relationships we’ve developed over five years’time.
我们在五年之中和一些村庄,一些渔村建立了合作关系。
Thank you very much.(Thank you,John.)I really appreciate the quality time with Dialogue.
非常感谢,(谢谢你,约翰。)很感谢你能抽出宝贵的时间来到这个“对话”节目。