1. XYZ 检查你的拉链
Hey, man. XYZ。
老兄啊! 检查一下你的拉链吧。
"XYZ" 是 "Check your zipper" 的意思。美国人填表做选项的时候多用打"X"来表示。这个打”X“的动作就叫"Check",也就是XYZ 中的X。Y 代表Your,Z当然代表Zipper 了!
2. kick ass 了不起
A: Wow, you fixed my computer in less than 10 minutes. You’re good。
哇! 你不到十分钟就把我的计算机修好了! 你真棒!
B: Yep. I just kick ass。
是的! 我就是了不起!
3. click (两人)合得来
I really like talking to her. I think we two really click。
我很喜欢和她说话。我觉得我们两个蛮合得来的。
4. suck 差劲; 糟透了
A: Guess what? We’ve just now missed the bus, and the next one won’t come for another 45 minutes。
知道吗? 我们刚好错过公车了,而下一班车还要四十五分钟才会来。
B: That sucks。
太糟糕了!
5. all set 一切准备妥当
A. Is my car ready yet?
我的车好了吗?
B: Yep! We just need to get this paper work done and you’ll be all set。
是的! 我们只要把这份证明填好,一切就都准备妥当了!
6. My hands are tied. 我无能为力。
A: Mr. Chapman, can I hand in my homework next time. I left it at home。
先生,我能不能下次再交作业呢? 我把功课忘在家里了。
B: All of the scores must be given to the office by Friday, so you must have your homework today. It is a school rule and there is nothing I can do. My hands are tied!。
所有的分数都必须在礼拜五前交到办公室,所以你今天必须交作业。这是学校的规定,我无能为力。
"My hands are tied." 并不是真正的“手被绑起来”的意思,而是指“没办法”的意思。比如电话响了,你很忙不能接,也可以说"Can you get it? My hands are tied." (我很忙,你能接一下吗?")