即使我们已经超过微软公司成为第一,
we won’t be happy unless we are doing our best,
我们也不能高兴,除非我们尽力了,
unless we’re innovating at a rate that we’really proud of.
除非我们高速进行改革,那我们将真正的值得骄傲。
That must a creating technology,delivering value to customers,
那将必须创造科技,给消费者带来价值。
to live in high quality services to customers is the best we can do.
让消费者生活在高质量的服务中,那是我们所能做的最好的。
We all create a little tests for ourselves,this yaknow to discover our own limits,the limits to our ability.
我们为自己创作了一些测试,这将可以发现我们自己的限度,也即我们能力的限制。
And what a little of limits of work on?
工作中什么是界限?
I mean can we become number one.
那意味着我们能成为第一。
Okay,we’ll never win Microsoft,can we be larger than IBM,yaknow,I don’t know.
行,我们将从不会赢微软,我们能比IBM更大吗,我不知道。
But we are gonna try.We’re curious,and the whole journey is exciting.
但是我们将要去试一试,我们很好奇,整个旅程是激动人心的。
If one day you’ve achieved your goal,
如果有一天你的目标都实现了,
beaten Microsoft and surpassed IBM,and become number one.
你也击败了微软,超过IBM成为第一。
What your motivation then?
那么你现在的动机又是什么?
Oh,there’s great thing about life as you never run out of challenges,
哦,有很多有关生活的大事情,就像你从来没有经过挑战一样。
and I want to be in Oracle for my entire life and I think.
我想让我的生活成为一个神话。
I owned a cancer research company that’s partially in United States and partially in Israel,
我属于一个癌症研究公司,它部分属于美国,另一部分是以色列。
and I am chairman of that company,I am planning a second career.
我是那个公司的总裁,我在计划第二个癌症研究。
I got two jobs right now.
我刚刚得到两份工作。
I am working,I got a day job in Oracle,and I am getting an extra kind of job,a quack biotechnology,
我在工作,在Oracle公司我是全日的,我很有一个额外的工作,一个骗人的生物工艺学。
and I intend to go to around that market biology and cancer research company myself.
我自己打算全面去进行生物学市场和癌症研究公司。
So some points you gonna change careers,that get happens,
因此一些人指出你打算去改变事业,那是要发生的,
yaknow even you are at my advanced age you can change careers and going into biotech.
你知道的,在你年老时你可以改变事业,进入生物学。
While we are communicating with our audience,some questions also have been collected by via Eastnet.
在我们现在跟观众交流的同时,我们利用东方网在给我们的话题收集一些问题。
Now the questions are ready.It seems that most people have much interest in the relationship between you and Bill Gates.
问题已经准备好了,看来大部分人还是对你和比尔·盖茨的关系很感兴趣。
One question goes to you as "Bill Gates enjoys general popularity in China,
一个问题是这样问的,比尔·盖茨在中国颇有人缘,
which not only depends on his legendary history of carving out business,
这不仅依仗他传奇的创业史,
his world richest position,but also his charitable deeds."
世界首富的地位,还有他乐善好施的行为。“
How do you measure his behavior on philanthropy?
你是怎么看待比尔·盖茨这方面的善举?
If in terms of charity or philanthropy and how to measure,charity and how to measure philanthropy,
如果就根据施舍或慈善事业去衡量的话,施舍将怎样去衡量慈善。
I’d rather speak of this topic.
我宁愿说这个主题。
All too often,every time someone writes a check for charity,
经常,总有人为慈善开一张支票。
they also issue a press release to take credit for the fact they wrote a check.
为了让人们相信他们开支票的事实,他们也经常开新闻发布会,
How big is the gift,and in fact the size of the gift is not.
多么大的礼物,事实上,那个礼物的尺寸并不这样。
What’s important,what’s important is what did they accomplish,what were the result.
那是重要的,他们完成的重要性,就是那个结果。
If you spend one billion dollars trying to cure cancers but failed,and helped nobody.
如果你花了10亿美圆,试图去医治癌症但是却失败了,没有帮到任何人。
All you’ve done is wasted one billion dollars.
你所做的仅仅是浪费10亿美圆。
If you spend one million dollars trying to cure a cancer,
如果你花10美圆去医治一个癌症者,
and you did cure a cancer,you have accomplished a great deal more.
并医治好了那个癌症,你就完成了更多。
And now who is the bigger philanthropist?
那么谁将是更大的慈善家?
The person has spent one billion and accomplished nothing,
花了10亿却没有完成什么事的人,
or the person has spent one million and cured a cancer?
还是花了10亿医治好一个癌症的人?
I’ve got a medical foundation we are not going a lot of detail,
我已经建了一个医学基地,还没有进行大量的细节问题。
twenty fifteen million dollars into the medical foundation,and we do a number of things such as sexual diseases,cancer research,etc.
2。3亿美圆投入医学基地,我们做了大量的有关性病、癌症等疾病的研究。
But I don’t spend a lot of time issuing press releases,saying,talking about how much I have contributed.
但是我没有花很多时间去作新闻发布会,谈论我作出了多大的贡献。
I am much more interested in issuing press releases in saying how.
我对如何进行开发布会更感兴趣。
What diseases we’ve cured,what problems we’ve solved,not how much money we’ve spent.
我们要医治的疾病是什么,我们已解决的问题是什么,而不是我们花了多少钱,
We all know that in the process to achieve number one,
那么,在成为第一的过程中,
Microsoft did buy and annex many companies of others,and destroy many companies.
微软公司其实是通过并购,收购人家公司,也摧毁了不少公司。
It’s obvious that it’s very hard to be number one in a certain industry.
那么做第一的过程看来也是相当艰苦的。
One of the netizen wants to ask you that you don’t agree on the deeds of monopolizing,
有一个网民还有一个问题:你很反对这种垄断的,
destroying others’ companies adopted by Microsoft.
摧毁别人公司的这种做法,都是微软采用的手段。
Now does your company set out to destroy others’ companies to be number one?
现在你的公司是否也会为了得到第一名摧毁别人的公司?
We do not set out to destroy a company.
我们不会摧毁一个公司。
We don’t say,I am really gonna..and the focus is really destroy this company.
我不是说,我真正的想去摧毁一个公司。
However,if we’ve built a product that is much better than another company’s product,
然而,如果我们生产一个比另一家公司更好的产品。
and that company cease to be competitive,that company can disappear.
那么,那个公司将会不具有竞争性,它也会消失的。
So also in our history we’ve been competing with companies like Sybase and Informix and a company called Ingrace which was disappeared.
因此,在我们公司的历史中,我们曾经跟Sybase公司和Informix 公司竞争过,结果他们都消失了。
The companies that we’ve beat in the marketplace sometimes ceases to exist.
有时候在我们市场里一些公司也被击败了。
And that’s the natural process of competition.
那就是竞争的自然性。
I think that’s one as long as you don’t break the law,doing it.
我认为只要你打破法律那是唯一的一个。
If you do break...set out to just lower your prices which was Microsoft did destroying Netscape,
如果你真的打破了,仅仅降低你的价格,就像微软摧毁Netscape公司一样。
then you breaking the law,then you’ve done things that you are not allowed to do,and you need to be punished.
那么,你一打破法律,你所做的事情就不许去做了,你将得到惩罚。
You think that any measures of competition could be adopted as long as they are legal,don’t you?
你是觉得只要是在不违法的情况下,任何的竞争手段都是可以的吗?
I also think you should be ethical in your competition.
在你的竞争中,我也认为会与伦理有关的。
Again you shouldn’t...I mean try to deceive anybody.
你应该不会的,去欺骗任何人。
So we are really focus on the way we can compete and the way is not to say:boy,we want to destroy this company,
因此我们真正关注的方法是竞争,而不是去说,孩子,我们想去摧毁这个公司。
let’s build the best possible product we can build,
让我们尽可能的生产更好的产品。
let’s go to the best possible service we can deliver,and the market will take care of itself.
让我们传递更好的服务,市场仅仅关心它本身。
Oh,I think we had absolutely.
哦,我认为我们绝对会的。
It’s a little bit..I am not very good at T-shirt design.
它有一点大,我并不善于衬衫的设计。
I try started my shark looking of like an arrow.
我试图扮演像一个专家具有的眼光。
So we had to get some who’s better artist than I was.
因此我不得不去找一些比我更好的艺术家。
But what our engineers really do to beat Informix is not well T-shirts.
但是我们的工程师更善于对付Informix而不是衬衫。
What our engineers do that is to build better products,delivering better service and the T-shirts were just fun.
我们工程师只想生产更好的产品,传递更好的服务,衬衫仅仅是玩笑。
I try to make sure that no one was on a position to bit my oxygen.
我试着去决定没有一个人能替代我重要的位子。
Yaknow I try to be the shark.
你知道,我想成为行家。
Well,I can’t imagine anyone.I’d rather give up the number one’s slot to the gentleman that’s right in front of them.
哦,我不能设想任何人。在他们面前我宁可放弃第一而保住绅士的形象。
I think you’re matching the shark.
我认为这和行家匹配。
I believe,life,you have to constantly move forward in life.
我相信在生活中你不得不坚持不懈地向前移。
So I think we constantly setting goals,and achieving those goals and we reset these goals and keep moving forward.
因此我认为我们应经常定目标,然后实现这些目标,再定这些目标,一直向前移动。
And that’s all,yaknow work was the number two in the world and the only goal we can set is to be the number one,that’s the only thing that’s left.
你知道,这就是。在世界上工作第二,我们多能定的唯一目标就是成为第一,那是唯一剩下的事情。
We are out of goals.
我们都处于目标之外,
But I agree that what’s really important is to make progress everyday,to improve ourselves everyday,to test ourselves and see if we are capable everyday.
但是我同意真正重要的是每天都取得进步,去测试我们自己,看我们每天是否都有能力胜任。
And it really is a guide to a happy life and a happy and fulfilling life.
那才是对一个幸福生活,充实生活的真正的引导。
It’s a little that way.
它有一点那样。