Spoken American English 6 ; 标准美国语6
Chapter 1. Being Naive ;1.天真
1.She’s naive. 2.He’s such a kid at heart. ;她天真浪漫。 他的心赤如童子。
3.Do you know how naive you sound? 4.Be careful.He’s up to no good. ;你知道你的话有多天真 吗? 要注意,他存心不良。
5.She’s not exactly a babe in the woods. ;她不是省油的灯。
Chapter 2. Being Talented ;2 有天赋
1.He’s something money can’t buy. 2.He’s quite a guy, good at everything. ;他是个金不换。 他很了不起,样样精通。
3.He’s a walking encyclopedia. 4.He always has a quick comeback. ;他是一部活的百科全书。 他反应敏捷。
5.He’s quick. 6.He’s witty. 7.He’s a fast learner. ;他的脑筋转得快。 他很精。 他是快速的学习者。
8.He picks things up quickly. 9.He’s quick on the rebound. ;他学什么都很快。 他的反应迅速。
10.He’s something special. 11.He’s very dear to me. ;他并非等闲之辈。 他对我很亲昵。
12.You’re a one-man army. 13.He’s a dynamo. ;你是一人将军。 他很有干劲(像一部发电 机)
14.He’s capable and works hard. 15.He does the job of many. ;他既能干又认真。 他一人干好几个人的活。
16.He can accomplish a lot by himself. 17.He’s definitely going places. ;光靠他自己就可以获得许 多成就。 他必定会成功。
18.He’s very versatile 19.He’s gifted. 20.He’s a genius. 21.He’s talented. ;他多才多艺。 他天赋高。 他是个天才。 他才高八斗。
22.Show them what you’ve got. 23.Put your best foot forward. ;露两手让他们瞧瞧 你的真功夫。 把你压箱底的功夫使出来
24.He’s a man of many talents. 25.Watch this good old American know-how. ;他才华横溢。 瞧我露一手美国佬才懂 的绝活儿给你看。
26.He’s always one step ahead of the crowd. ;他总是比众人先着一步棋
27.He’s a financial wizard. ;他是财经怪杰。
28.He’s so far ahead, he’s in a class by himself. ;他的造诣自成一流, 远超别人。
29.You’re got the magic touch. 30.Some people have it Some people don’t. ;你的手法真灵。 某些人有天分, 某些人则平平庸庸。
31.A:Can you sing? B:Try me. ;你的歌唱得好吗? 你听我唱一首就知道了。
32.That’s my expertise 33.He has no sidekick. ;那是我的专长。 他没帮手.
34.You should be in show biz. 35.He’s a natural. 36.He’s a born leader. ;你应该去当演员。 他有与生具来的才干。 他是天生的领导人才。
37.I have the knack for planning. 38.He sure makes it look easy. ;我有策划的才干。 他做起来轻而易举。
39.No one is more qualified than you. 40.You’ve got a lot to offer in this field ;没哪个人比你更有资格。 你在这一行大有可为。
41.How do I know you’re any good? ;我怎晓得你行呢?
42.What makes you think you have what it takes to be a doctor? ;为何你认为是块 当医师的料子呢?
43.He’s a late bloomer 44.You are great with kids. ;他大器晚成。 你和小孩们很处得来。
45.She’s proficient in both English and Japanese. ;她通晓英日语。
46.She knows who she is. 47.I’ve got something no one can take away ;她很清楚自己的身份。 我有些别人拿不走的 真本事。
48.He could emcee a talk show. ;他可以当“脱口秀” 的主持人。
Chapter 3. Inabilities ;第3章 无能
1.You are a little out of your league. ;这个你做不来。
2.I’m a jack of all trades,but master of none. ;我什么都能做一点, 但没哪样精。 (我习百艺而无一精)
3.He’s working under his potential. 4.I used to be pretty good at this. ;他大材小用。 从前我很精于此道。
5.She’s more an airhead than a gear head. ;她对机械的领悟力差, 有的只是空洞的脑袋。
6.Painting is not my forte. 7.I’m all thumbs when it comes to plumbing ;画图并非我的长处。 一碰到修理水管的工作, 我就变得笨手笨脚。
8.I couldn’t bake a pie to save my life. ;我连最简单的事都做不来
9.I don’t think she is secretary material. ;我不认为她是当秘书 的料子。
10.She’s not cut out to be a piantist. ;她天生不是钢琴家的料子
11.You can’t do a single thing by yourself. ;要是没人帮忙,你自己 什么事儿也办不成。
12.As a CEO,he’s simply overrated. ;叫他当公司的总裁, 未免太小才大用。
13.He’s been given more credit than he deserves. ;他名过其实。 他浪得虚名。
14.His performance doesn’t live up to his reputation. ;他的才艺与盛名相去甚远
15.This car fails to live up to its name. ;这种车子的性能, 跟它的名气相差甚远。
16.He’s not really as good as people say he is. ;他名不副实。
Chapter 4. Literature ;第4章 文学
1.It takes forever to finish this book. ;这本书好象一辈子也 读不完。
2.I put a bookmark where I left off so I won’t lose my place. ;我夹了一张书签在末页, 免得我忘了读到哪儿。
3.A:Can I see that book for a second? B:Okay,but don’t lose my page. ;让我看一下那本书好吗? 好的,但不要把我看的 那页给弄混了。
4.This book is a great read. ;这本书读起来好过瘾。
5.This book is great as a quick reference on the job. ;这本书可作为实际 操作时的简便参考。
6.We did have a good laugh reding that book. ;我们读那本书的时候 着实笑了一阵子。
7.I need a book of who’s who. 8.This is the original edition. ;我需要一本名人录。 这是本原版书。
9.This book is out of circulation. 10.I’d like to take out this book. ;这是绝版书。 我想把这本书借出去。
11.You can’t check this out.It’s on reserve. 12.Read and reap. ;你不能借这本书, 已有人预约。 开卷有益。
13.The obscene book was banned. 14.Children’s storybook characters ;淫秽书籍被禁止出售。 儿童故事里的 著名人物。
Chapter 5. Authors & Writing ;第5章 作者与写作
1.You need to beef it up a little. 2.He’s a would-be writer. ;你必须再充实 一下它的内容。 他是一名准作家。
3.Hey,who scribbled on my stationery? 4.I can’t read your writings. ;嘿,是谁在我的信筏上 乱画一气的? 我看不懂你写的字。
5.I can’t make out if this is an "e" or "c". ;我分辨不出这是e 还是c 。
6.I can’t make out this note.It’s illegible. ;这张纸条字迹潦草 (模糊)我看不懂。
7.You have a doctor’s handwriting. ;你的字迹像大夫的 一样潦草。
8.Her handwriting is elegant,but Jim’s writing is a scrawl. ;她的笔迹娟秀,但吉姆 的字体却像鬼画符。
9.What’s this chicken scratch? 10.Your handwriting is super neat. ;你这鬼画符写的是 什么东西? 你的笔迹十分工整。
11.I think it’s spelled wrong. ;我想这个字是拼错了。
12.There are too many misprints in the book. ;这本书拼错了很多字。
13.This poem is not rhythmic. 14.Publish or perish. ;这首歌念起来没有韵律感 不出书就甭想活下去。
15.Staple these together. 16.Collate these papers. ;把这些纸(文件)钉起来 按号码的顺序,把这些 文书钉在一块儿。
17.Please have these papers shredded. 18.Save the scrap paper for recycling ;请将这些文件用碎纸机 销毁掉。 保留废纸以便回收再利用
19.Please jot it down in your notebook. ;请把它记在笔记本里。
Chapter 6. Airline Flights ;第6章 航班
1.I can’t take a standby.I need a confirmed seat. ;我不要候补票,我必须有 确定的机位。
2.I have a round trip ticket to D.C. 3.I have a flight to catch. ;我有一张到华盛顿的 来回票。 我赶着要去搭一趟班机。
4.I’m sorry.We’re all booked up for Flight 194. ;对不起,一九四航班已客 满。
5.Please check in two hours in advance. ;请在起飞两小时前 作搭机登记。
6.I hope I’m not sandwiched in between. ;在这一班机中,希望我 不会像三明治似的被 夹在中间。
7.Do you have any luggage? 8.Any carry-ons? 9.Weigh in,please. ;你有行李要托运吗? 你有随身携带的行李吗? 请将行李过磅。
10.I’ll have charge you for exceeding the weight allowance. ;我必须加收你超重的 行李费。
11.There is a surcharge for extra bags. ;超件行李必须付额外的 费用。
12.Great,we missed our connecting flight. ;糟糕,我们没赶上转接 班机。
13.The plane’s been delayed by inclement weather. ;这班机已因恶劣的天气 而延误。
14.Move your seat forward,please. ;请将椅背竖直。
15.Return your seat to the upright position,please. ;请把做椅扶回直立的 位置。
16.Please fold your tray up. 17.You may recline after take-off. ;请将托盘垫子向上折起。 起飞后你可以使椅背 后倾。
18.We’re now cruising at an altitude of 33,000 feet. ;我们现在已飞在三万 三千尺的高度。
19.It’s been so long. Are we almost there? 20.The flight is a little bumpy. ;已飞很久了, 我们快到了吗? 这趟飞行有点儿颠簸。
21.Please fasten your seabelt.We’re flying in turbulence. ;请系好你的安全带, 我们正飞行在乱流中。
22.I’m feeling a bit airsick. 23.That was a perfect landing. ;我有点儿晕机。 那是个完美的着陆。
24.Please remain seated until the plane comes to a full stop. ;请在飞机完全停止前, 继续坐在位子上。
25.This airport looks like a maze.I can’t find my way around. ;这座机场像迷宫, 找不到我要走的路。
26.You can buy liquor duty free at the airport gift shop. ;你可以在机场的礼品店 买到免税的酒。
27.Where is the baggage claim? 28.Your luggage is still in transit. ;在哪里提取行李呢? 你的行李还在运送中。
29.Those customs officers were really nasty. ;那些海关缉私官员太 恶劣了,
They made a mess of my luggage. ;他们把我的行李弄得 一团糟。
30.He’s still suffering from jet lag ;他仍为时差所苦,
even though it’s the third day after his arrival here in the States. ;虽然他已抵美三天。
31.My luggage got lost during the flight transfer. ;我的行李在转机时弄丢了
Chapter 7. Lodging ;第7章 旅社
1.Sorry,we have no vacancies. ;抱歉,我们没空房 可出租。
2.We stayed at a little B and B over the weekend. ;我们周末住在一个家庭 经营式的小客栈里。
3.This is my home away from home. 4.The rise of the room rates simply stuns me ;这是我客居在外时暂住 的家。 旅馆房价高涨得令人吃惊
5.The hotel throws in breakfast with the room. ;这家旅社随房附送免费 早餐。
6.This hotel provides posh accommodations. 7.Does this hotel have room service? ;这家旅馆提供豪华的设备 这家旅馆送饮食到 客房吗?
8.I’d like a wake-up call at 6:00 A.M. please. ;请你早上六点叫醒 我好吗?
Chapter 8. Vacations ;第8章 假期
1.I have a three day pass. 2.I have a good two or three days to kill. ;我有三天的假期。 我足足有两三天的 时间好打发。
3.This trip is all expenses paid. 4.I’m packing! ;这趟旅行的费用都由 公司支付。 我正在收拾行李!
5.I’m off for a real swinging holiday. 6.This is the life. ;我要出发去度一个 快乐的假期。 这才像人过的日子。
7.That vacation was the best medicine. 8.I had a blissful stay in the West. ;那个假期就如仙丹妙药。 我在西海岸留恋忘返。
9.We can all live without vacations from hell. ;我们都不愿碰上 不愉快的旅行。