10 Argument and discussion
争论与讨论
You carry it out too far .
你做的太过分了。(较随便)
A:I just taught him a lesson.Nothing more.
我只是给了他一个教训,没别的。
B:I think you’ve carried it out too far.You’re to blame. A:My fault?
我认为你做的太过分了.该怪你.怎么是我的错?
You haven’t leg to stand on.
你的话没有根据。(较随便)
A:The whole play is a flop.
整个剧是个失败。
B:For your conclusion,you don’t have a leg to stand on.
你的结论没有任何根据。
A:Why do you say that. B:At least Rose deserves our praise.
为什么这么说?至少罗斯值得表扬。
I slipped up there.
这点让我疏忽了。(较随便)
A:I’m sorry.I slipped up there.
对不起,这一点让我疏忽了。
B:It doesn’t matter.We’re only discussing.No one can be so sure.
没关系,我们只是在讨论。没有人有百分百的把握。
A:Maybe we can look at it from another angle.
也许我们可以从另一个角度来探讨。
That’s beside the point.
你的话离题太远了。(通用)
A:I think that’s nonsense.That’s beside the point.
我认为那是克服缺点,你离题太远了。
B:How dare you say that?I worked it out after much calculation.
你怎么敢这么说话?我是经过慎重考虑才提出这个观点的。
C:Let’s calm down and try to find a good way.
大家都冷静一下,没法想个更好的解决办法。
I take you up on that.
我接受你的建议。(通用)
A:I think we should begin our tour with the Great Bell Temple.
我认为我们应该首先参观大钟寺。
We can save a lot of time.
这样可以省不少时间。
B:And the temple is very famous in China.I’ll take you up on that.
而且这个寺院是中国非常有名的。我接受你的建议。
A:Well,Let’s gather at 8 right there,OK?
那么我们就八点在那里集合,好吗?
Let’s sit down and talk things over.
咱们坐下来讨论一下吧。(通用)
A:Don’t argue aimlessly.Let’s sit down and talk things over.
别漫无边际地争论了。我们坐下来讨论一下吧。
B:I think a loan is a must to solve the problem.
我认为要想解决这个问题必须贷款。
A:But I think we can raise money by ourselves.
但是我认为我们可以自己筹款。
I think I’m at odds with you over...
我想在......方面我们有分歧。(通用。)
A:I think I’m at odds with you over the supplying plan.
我想在供应计划问题上我们有分歧。
B:But it’s been already approved by the boss.
可老板已经批准了。
A:Then I’ll have to talk to him right away.
那么我得马上和他谈谈。
I don’t think you stand very much of a chance.
我认为你的机会不大。(通用)
A:I’m going to run for monitor of the class this term.
这学期我想竞选班长。
B:But I don’t think you stand very much of a chance. A:I’ll try my best.
但我认为你成功的希望不大。我将竭尽全力。
I can’t take your point completely.
我不能完全接受你的观点。(通用)
A:Pop music is really a bore.
通俗音乐没意思。
B:I can’t take your point completely.Most of the young people enjoy it.
我不能完全接受你的观点。大多数青年人都喜欢。
A:Simply because they’re too young.
这只是因为他们太年轻了。
We must weigh the pros and cons before we make a decision.
我们一定要平衡得失再做决定。(较正式)
A:We can follow their suits.That’s all.
他们怎么做我们就怎么做。
B:Wait a minute.Look before you leap.
等等。三思产而后行。
We must weigh the pros and cons before we make a decision.
我们一定要平衡得失再做决定。
C: I agree with you.It must be discussed carefully.
我同意你的意见,我们必须认真讨论讨论。
Let’s put our heads together and see if we can do something about it.
我们大家都动动脑筋想想办法。(较正式)
A:It’s really a hard nut for us to crack.
这对我们来说是个难题。
B:Yeah.Let’s put our heads together and see if we can do something about it .
是啊,我们大家都动动脑筋想想办法。
A:I suggest we ask the engineer for help first.
我建议首先找工程师来帮一下忙。
I beg to differ with you on this matter.
请允许我在这件事上有不同意见。(较正式)
A:It’s very important for us to clarify the ownership.
我们把永恒的所有权弄清楚很重要。
B:I beg to differ with you on this matter.
请允许我在这件事上有不同意见。
There won’t be any problem with the ownership,I think.
我认为所有权不会有任何问题。
It’s the price that bothers us.
使我们头痛的是价格。
I’m afraid I have a different opinion.
恐怕我不同意的看法。
A:I think reading extensively is the key to mastery of English.
我认为广泛阅读是学习英语最好的办法。
B:I’m afraid I have a defferent Opinion.
恐怕我不同意你的看法,
Recitation to me is the best way. A:Why?
背诵在我看来是最好的办法.为什么?
B:When you have the language in your mind,it won’t be diffcult for you to read ,write or translate.
如果你能在头脑中记住这种语言,读、写、译就不会困难了.
A:It’s easier said than done.
说起来容易做起来难啊!
I think the point is made clear without debate.
我认为这一点是不言自明的(较正式)
A:Shakespeare is the greatest master of language.
莎士比亚是最伟大的语言大量。
I think this point is made clear without debate.
我认为这一点是不言自明的。
B:I’m afraid I can’t agree with you on that.
这一点上我恐怕不能同意你的意见、
Recent research has found that he just happened to become famous.
最近的研究表明他是偶然出名的。
A:What do you mean by "happened to be famous"?
你的“偶然出名”是什么意思?
B:Not all of his works were better than those of his contemporaries.
并不是他所有的作品都比同时代的作家好。
They just happened to be read more by people.
只不过是碰巧很多人读到了他的东西而已。
I’m afraid I can’t accept your argument.
我恐怕不能接受你的论点。(较正式)
A:I think we can solve those difficult ones first.
我认为我们可以先解决那些难的。
B:I’m afraid I can’t accept your argument.We should do it step by step.
我恐怕不能接受你的论点.我们应该循序渐进.
A:But there are too easy for us.
可这些对我们来说太容易了。
B:Sometimes it’s just the easy ones that confuse us.
有时就是那些简单的东西难住我们。
I’m not convinced by your explanation.
你的解释不能使我信服。(较正式)
A:I’m not convinced by your explanation.B:Which part?
你的解释不能使我信服。哪部分?
A:The whole of it .
都不明白。
Could you explain it from the beginnning to the end once again.
能否再从头到尾解释一遍?
It would seem that you’re right.
看来你是对的。(较正式)
A:It would seem that you’re right.
看来你是对的。
But one more thing,can you prove it with facts.
但还有一点,你能用事实证明一下吗?
B:Facts are not available yet.
现在还没有事实,
But I think we’ll find them soon.A:I hope so.
但我想很快就会有的。但愿如此。
We are disputing about...
我们正在争论......。(较正式)
A:What’re you talking about?
你们讨论什么呢?
B:We’re disputing about the meaning of the word.
我们在争论这个词的词义。
A:Let me see.Oh,its polysemous word.
我来看看,哦,这是个多义词。
We must read between lines and determine its meaning according to the contexts.
我们应该看上下文在语境中确定词义。
I should say that your...is wrong.
我应该说你的...是错误的。(较正式)
A:We can just leave it to the rest to solve.
我们可以把它留给他人去解决。
B:I should say that your decision is wrong.
我应该说你的决定是错误的。
We must see it through ourselves.
我们应该自己把事做到底。
A:But do you think we can finish in time?
可你认为我们能及时完成的?
B:Yes,if every one of us tries our utmost.
能,只要我们都尽最大努力。
I take issue with you on that.
我和你在这一点上有分歧。(较正式)
A:The distribution plan is up to the boss himself to decide,I think.
销售方案应该由老板来定。
B:I take issue with you on that.
我极不同意你的意见。
The company belongs to everyone.All of us have a say.
公司属于大家,我们都有发言权。
A:Yeah,but...
是啊,可是......