1. I think you should…
“我认为你应该做某事”,这就是很直接的提建议的方式。
I think you should exercise more.
我认为你应该多运动运动。
I think you should raise your sights. You’re underestimating yourself.
我认为你应该有远大志向,你过于低估自己了。
2. I don’t know if…is a good idea.
当你使用这个表达时,你的语气是比较消极的。也就是说,其实你并不觉得这是个好主意。
Josh, I don’t know if that’s a good idea.
乔希,我可不知道这是不是个好主意。
I don’t know if taking a year off work is a good idea.
我不知道休假一年是不是个好主意。
3. Maybe you should try…
和上一个表达不同,当你说“也许你该试着做某事”的时候,语气是很积极的,你在鼓励别人去尝试。
Maybe you should try studying a new skill.
也许你应该试着学习一项新技能。
Maybe you should try harder, but not live on your name.
也许你应该更努力,而不能靠名声过日子。
4. I wouldn’t…
would可以用作劝告,一般用在I后面。当你说这句话的时候,你的态度还是比较坚决的。
I wouldn’t (= I advise you not to) worry about it, if I were you.
如果我是你,我就不会为它担心。
I wouldn’t be saying this unless I were sure of the facts.
要是我对这些事情没有把握,我就不说这话了。
5. If I were you, I would…
大家有没有听过Beyonce的那首If I Were A Boy:
If I were a boy, I would turn off my phone.如果我是个男生,我可以关掉手机。
我们日常也会这么说,“如果我是你,我会怎样想怎么做”。
If I were you, I would have a try.
我要是你,我就试一试。
If I were you, I would follow his advice.
我要是你,我就听从他的建议。
6. My advice is to…
这个建议就很直接了,直接说出自己的建议!
He’s a bit of a bully and my advice is to have nothing to do with him.
他有点霸道,因而我的意见是不要和他交往。
7. You ought to…
这种提建议的方法比较正式,或许你对should更熟悉,不过很多人会用ought。
You ought to respect his opinions more.
你应该更加重视他的意见。
如果是口语里,可以用oughta,它等于ought to。
You oughta go earlier.
你应该早点儿去。
当然,日常交流中,我们也可以使用疑问句来给予他人反馈。
8. Why don’t you…?
Why don’t you wear shoes with high heels?
为什么你不穿高跟鞋呢?
Why don’t you write out a speech and get it by heart?
你为什么不写份讲稿,然后把它背下来?
9. Have you tried…?
Have you tried talking to them?
你试着和他们谈过吗?
Have you tried that new stain remover?It works like magic.
你使用过那种新的去污剂吗?效果非常好。
10. Have you thought about…?
这种表达较多用于比较严肃的场合。
Have you thought about what job you are going to do?
你考虑过准备做什么工作了吗?
Have you thought about using flowers to apologize?
你想过用花来道歉吗?