对我们而言,How are you?是非常熟悉的问候,与nice to meet you并列为最早接触的英文表达。那句Fine, thank you的回答更是张口就来,但是,外国人真的都是这样回答吗?
如果你的状态很差,也会这样回复吗?
其实针对how are you的回答有很多种,不同的情景和心情下,回复都不一样。
I’m fine. How are you?
我很好,你呢?
(这是最保险的回答,有时候即使你状态不好,也不得不这么回答)
I’m AWAP. (As Well As Possible).
我感觉已经不错了。
I’m trying really hard to avoid ambiguous questions at the moment.
我现在正努力避免回答这样模棱两可的问题。
(Just answer with the same question:) How are you?
(把问题抛回给对方):你好吗?
I could complain, but I’m not going to.
我可以抱怨,但我不会。
Upright and still breathing.
诚实正直地活着呢。
Thanks for caring babe! Glad to be here with you.
谢谢关心,宝贝!很高兴能见到你。
Better than yesterday, but not as good as I will be tomorrow!
比昨天强,但没明天好。
I am.
还好。
Wondering how you are.
我想知道你过得好不好。
Strange, and getting stranger.
过得很糊涂,越来越偏离轨道。
My usual Devil-‐may-‐care self.
我日常的事情—就是—照顾自己。
I’m endeavoring to persevere.
我在努力坚持下去。
How am I what?
我怎么了?
How do you think I am?
你觉得我过得咋样?
Do you want the short version or the long one?
你想听长一点还是短一点的版本?
Eh, you win some you lose some.
嗯,算是有得有失。
I’ll leave that up to your imagination.
你自行想象吧。
Shhhhh. It’s a secret.
嘘。这是个秘密。
I’ll let you know when I figure it out.
当我想好了我会告诉你的。
Taking deep breaths.
做深呼吸。
Ready for tomorrow.
已经为明天做好准备。
To tell you the truth, my hurts, but my doc’s working on a solution for me so I’m hopeful.
实话告诉你,我有伤,但是我的医生正在为我解决这个问题,所以我抱有很大希望。
I’ve been better.
我已经好多了。
Trying to stay positive.
努力保持积极的心态。
Who wants to know?
谁想知道呢?
Not my best day, but not my worst day, either.
不能称得上是我最好的一天,但也不是我最糟糕的一天。
Let’s just say less than super.
比超级棒差了那么一点点。
Wouldn’t you like to know!
你不会想知道的!
I’m taking it easy.
我在试着放轻松。
Staying grounded.
停滞不前。