★He won’t be back until January.
He won’t be back until January.他到一月份才回来。
Until 表示“一直到…时为止”,后接短语或时间状语从句。在否定句中,可译成“直到…时才…”,until 和till 一样,可互用。例如:
I’ll stay here until tomorrow.
我要在这儿等到明天。
I’ll study tonight until it is eleven o’clock.
今晚我要学到十一点钟。
I didn’t understand until you tell me.
直到你告诉我才明白。
Stay here and wait for me till I come back.
呆在这儿等着我回来。
★Is she very unhappy without me?
Is she very unhappy without me?我不在她是否不愉快。
Without…是一介词,表示“没有…的情况下”,常用来表示伴随情况,假设等。例如:
I can’t do it well without your help.
没有你的帮助我就干不好。
We could do nothing without light.
没有电,我们什么也干不成。
He went out without a word.
他一句话也没说就出去了。
★Everybody here is busy getting ready for it.
Everybody here is busy getting ready for it.在这儿大家都为圣诞节做准备。
Be busy doing表示“忙于做……”,也可以写成be busy with …,后接名词。例如:
The students are busy cleaning the classroom.
学生正忙于打扫教室。
Are you busy with the homework?
你在忙作业吗?
★Have you heard from him?
Have you heard from him?你收到过他的信吗?
hear from …表示“收到…的信”,相当于have a letter from him .例如:
I heard from him last week.
我上周收到他一封信。
I haven’t heard from him since he left.
只从他走后,我没收到他的信。
I had a letter from my sister.
我收到我妹妹的一封信。