Mary:
Has Alan shown up yet?
艾伦露面了吗?
Tony:
No, not yet. I guess something came up?He’ll call soon enough to let us know what’s going on. He’s good that way.
没有,还没露面。我猜肯定发生什么事了。他应该会打电话告诉我们的。要是那样就好了。
Mary:
I wonder what it could be.
我在想会是什么事。
Tony:
I don’t know. I hope it’s nothing serious.
我也不知道。希望不是什么严重的事情。
Mary:
Last week his sister was admitted to the hospital.
上星期他姐姐住院了。
Tony:
What happened?
怎么回事啊?
Mary:
She was in a serious car accident. She was hurt pretty badly. They thought she was going to die.
他姐姐出了车祸,伤得很严重。他们都觉得她快不行了。
Tony:
How is she now?
那她现在怎么样?
Mary:
She fell into a coma?... The doctors aren’t too hopeful. But I hope they’re wrong.
她已经昏迷了。医生觉得没有太大希望了。不过我希望他们的判断是错的。
Tony:
Poor? Alan. He’s going nuts. His sister is all he has left; his parents died last year.
可怜的艾伦。他都快要发疯了。他姐姐可是他惟一的亲人了,他父母去年刚去世。
Mary:
Yes, he has been through a lot in the last year. I hope his luck changes soon. Maybe his sister will pull through?.
是啊,他去年经历得太多了。我希望他能时来运转。也许他姐姐能挺过来呢。