How strong are you?
你有多强大?
That is a tough question to answer, whether you are a man or a woman.
不管你是男人还是女人,这都是个很难回答的问题。
But, really, I want to ask… how do you define your strength?
但是,说实话,我想知道,你是怎么定义力量的呢?
How do you know your limits? How do you know just how much you’ve got?
你是如何了解自己的局限性?你怎么知道你能做到什么程度?
When push comes to shove, we often discover that we are much stronger than we think.
当压力来临时,我们会发现我们比想象中要更强大。
What is Strength?
什么是力量?
Strength is not always about pure physical strength. Rather, it is about willpower. Discipline. Drive. It is about the capacity to get things done.
力量并不仅仅指你的肌肉力量,它更多的指的是意志力、训练、动力。是一种能够做好事情的能力。
I know some people who are intellectually strong, but they get very little done in their jobs. And I know others who find work extremely challenging, but are able to move mountains by their sheer drive and hard work.
我知道有一些人虽然很聪明,但是他们在工作中能够做好的事情却很少。而另外一些人虽然知道工作很具有挑战性,但他们仍能通过强大的动力和艰苦的工作来移动大山。
They possess inner strength.
他们具有强大的内心力量。
More interesting, is that these productive hard-workers often don’t even notice the load. Bystanders are not only amazed, but often ask, “How do you do it?”
更有趣的是,这些非常努力工作的人并没有意识到工作量的巨大。旁观者不仅感到很吃惊,而且还经常问,“你是怎么做到的?”
The answer usually comes back, “I just work harder than the others.”
经常得到这样的回答,“我只是比别人更努力一些罢了。”
So, why are some people able to do more? What gives them added drive? What gives them extra strength?
所以,为什么有些人就能做到更多?他们的动力是哪里来的呢?是谁给予他们多余的力量?
Could it be, they have simply given themselves permission to do more?
还是,仅仅是他们自己给自己力量来做到更多?