On the Feeling of Immortality in Youth
有感于青春常在
No young man believes he will ever die.
年轻人不相信自己会死。
It was a saying of my brother’s, and a fine one.
这是我哥哥的话,可算得一句妙语。
There is a feeling of eternity in youth,
青春有一种永生之感
eternity n.永恒,来世,不朽
[ɪ’tɜ:nətɪ]
which makes us amend for everything.
它能弥补一切。
amend v.改良,修改
[ə’mend]
To be young is to be as one of the immortal Gods.
人在青年时代好像一尊永生的神明。
One half of time indeed is flown,
诚然,生命的一半已以消逝,
the other half remains in store for us with all its countless treasures,
但蕴藏着不尽财富的另一半还有所保留,
for there is no line drawn,and we see no limit to our hopes and wishes.
我们对它也抱着无穷的希望和幻想。
We make the coming age our own-the vast, the unbounded prospect lies before us.
未来的时代完全属于我们—无限辽阔的远景在我们面前展现。
vast n.浩瀚,广大无边的空间
[vɑ:st]
Death, old age are words without a meaning that pass by us like the idle air which we regard not.
死亡,老年,不过是空话,毫无意义;我们听了,只耳边风,全不放在心上。
idle a.无意义的,空闲的,懒惰的
[’aɪdl]
Others may have undergone, or may still be liable to them-we "bear a charmed life",
这些事,别人也许经历过,或者可能要承受,但是我们自己,“在灵符护佑下度日”,