关于这首诗,有两种说法:一说是为悼念徐志摩而作,借以表示对挚友的怀念,我们可以从电视剧《人间四月天》可以了解一般;一说是为儿子粱从诫的出生而作,以表达心中对儿子的希望和儿子出生带来的喜悦,这也是完全有可能的;不过我们完全可以放下这些争论,因为这首诗确实是一篇极为优秀的作品,它的价值不需要任何外在的东西来支撑。所以在诗人逝世的时候,金岳霖等好友们共同给诗人题了这样的一副挽联:“一身诗意千寻瀑,万古人间四月天。”
这首诗的魅力和优秀并不仅仅在于意境的优美和内容的纯净,还在于形式的纯熟和语言的华美。诗中采用重重叠叠的比喻,意象美丽而丝毫无雕饰之嫌,反而愈加衬出诗中的意境和纯净——在华美的修饰中更见清新自然的感情流露在形式上,诗歌采用新月诗派的诗美原则:讲求格律的和谐、语言的雕塑美和音律的乐感。这首诗可以说是这一原则的完美体现,词语的跳跃和韵律的和谐几乎达到了极致。
我说你是人间的四月天;
I compare you, my beloved, to lovely April days.
笑音点亮了四面风;轻灵
When your giggling charm enlightens the breezes astray.
在春的光艳中交舞着变。
Rising lightness be your dancing shapes,
tiptoeing the gorgeous spring rays.
你是四月早天里的云烟,
You are my early April cloud;
黄昏吹着风的软,星子在
Eventide softness where winds linger in steps proud.
无意中闪,细雨点洒在花前。
Starry sparkles, a careless note,
Modest raindrops over the blooms in a whisper silently loud.
那轻,那娉婷,你是,鲜妍
Lightness, fairness, and freshness are your floral crest,
百花的冠冕你戴着,你是
Naive grandness is the embrace of your chest
天真,庄严,你是夜夜的月圆。
You, every touch of a round moon holding my breath.
雪化后那片鹅黄,你像;新鲜
Yellowish green is your budding blade,
初放芽的绿,你是;柔嫩喜悦
When the wintry snow fades;
水光浮动着你梦期待中白莲。
Tender rejoicing be your dreamy lilies in the rippling parade.
你是一树一树的花开,是燕
Your are trees heavy with flowers merry and gay;
在梁间呢喃,——你是爱,是暖
Like keen swallows, under every roof, you gently chatter away,
是希望,你是人间的四月天!
In thy name of love and warm hopes, you are a lovely April day!