相关连接词是由两个或多个字组成的成对的,在句子中前后相互呼应的连接词,包括对等相关连接词和从属相关连接词。
对等相关连接词是表示所连接的部份是同等关系的相关连接词,如:
both...and(既...又), not only...but also(不但...而且), as well as(和...一样,也), either...or(不是...就是), neither...nor(既不...也不)。
对等相关连接词所连接的两个部份必须具有同等文法作用。
But shopping is both boring and time-consuming.
购物,购物!但购物既没意思又费时间。
But I think shopping is not only interesting but also relaxing。
但我认为购物不仅有趣而且令人轻松的。
Ok, neither this nor that fits me.
好了,这件和那件都不合适。
English is both interesting and difficult.
英语既有趣又难学。
The room is not only large but also beautiful.
这房间不但大而且漂亮。
We read newspapers as well as magazines.
我们看报纸也看杂志。
Either you or I am right.
不是你对就是我对。
Neither Tom nor Henry went to the bar.
汤姆没去酒吧,亨利也没去。
从属相关连接词指所连接的部份是从属关系的连接词。
so...that (such...that)表示"如此...以致,因为...所以"。
This skirt is so pretty that I like it very much.
这条裙子太漂亮了,我非常喜欢。
Oh, this is such a beautiful skirt that I can’t help loving it.
噢,这是条如此漂亮的裙子,以致于我没法不喜欢它。
He is so smart that we like him.
他如此聪明以致于我们喜爱他。
He is such a smart boy that we like him.
他是如此聪明的孩子,以致于我们喜爱他。
so that, in order that...may (can, will)表示"为了,以便"。
I want to leave here so that I don’t have to pay for the skirt.
我想离开这里,这样我就不用为那裙子付钱了。
He practices every day in order that he may win the match.
为了赢得比赛他每天都训练。
lest...should表示"惟恐,以免"。
But you’d better try them on lest they should not be fitted.
但你最好穿上试试以免不合适。
I closed the windows lest it should rain.
我关上窗户惟恐下雨。
no sooner...than表示"一...就"。
No sooner had I opened the door than the telephone rang.
我刚刚打开门电话铃就响了。
no sooner后往往要接完成式的倒装形式。